Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

bumblebee Harvesting Honey (Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av7o7uvVSTs

This video shows what a backyard beekeeper, such as myself, goes through to harvest honey. I am also awarding the winner(s) of the August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest each with a jar of honey.
Attached Thumbnails
Harvesting Honey (Video)-honeyforsale.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-harvestinghoney1supplies.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-harvestinghoney2indoorsupplies.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-harvestinghoney5shadesofhoney.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-harvestinghoney4beecomb.jpg  

MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
WG Staff

Amazing.

Absolutely amazing.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

I am truly impressed. Seventy eight jars of honey from two hives is quite an accomplishment. Your success is likely attributable to your passion for native species. We truly are what we eat and bees are not all that different from us in that respect.

I was under the impression bee keeping required a substantial investment in equipment. You have done a remarkable job sharing how harvesting honey can be done on a limited budget using supplies readily available for all but the extractor.

Thank you for your generosity. The August Photo of the Month winner will be a very lucky person.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

How generous of you to donate your honey as a prize.
Must get out there and take some pictures to submit.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I bought my first hive. I'm going to haul it over to a friend's house over the winter. Their hives are at capacity and they said they'll probably swarm next spring so free bees for me. They'll smoke em and haul em back to me. I'm definitely going for this even if my new hive has to sit there until their bees do swarm so this video of yours is AWESOME!!! Good timing for me too and.... I know where I'm going to get my honey making questions answered.... YOU. I found a store that sells bee keeping supplies. It's pretty far away from me but I'll have to make the trip sooner or later. I saw that bee suit you have and they have some sort of a new bee suit that's like an adult onesie. What do you think of the new one piece bee suit style> it looked pretty good to me but what do I know.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
WG Staff

Good thread MrILoveTheAnts.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I bought my first hive. I'm going to haul it over to a friend's house over the winter. Their hives are at capacity and they said they'll probably swarm next spring so free bees for me. They'll smoke em and haul em back to me. I'm definitely going for this even if my new hive has to sit there until their bees do swarm so this video of yours is AWESOME!!! Good timing for me too and.... I know where I'm going to get my honey making questions answered.... YOU. I found a store that sells bee keeping supplies. It's pretty far away from me but I'll have to make the trip sooner or later. I saw that bee suit you have and they have some sort of a new bee suit that's like an adult onesie. What do you think of the new one piece bee suit style> it looked pretty good to me but what do I know.
If you have the option of doing a split before they swarm, I highly recommend that. My hives always swarm up some 60 feet in the air in one of our highest oak trees and that's to far to get them. I actually planted several smaller trees around my hives in the hopes they'd land someplace lower to the ground. Products like Swarm Lore, and Vials of Lemon grass Oil don't always work either, but I have had success in years past. This year though of three swarm catcher hives setup I didn't get a single swarm.

Splitting a hive is easily done and deter the swarming process all together. Before queen cells have opened you move a few frames to another box. The rule of thumb I hear is both hives should have at least one frame of capped brood, uncapped larva, and empty cells (eggs are fine) and of course lots of room to expand.

Don't be afraid of the communicative effect that doubling your hives each year will bring. A few often don't survive and if you end up with to many you can simply combine two of your weakest hives and let the queen's duke it out. Combining hives is done by placing one on top of the other, but newspaper should be separating the two boxes so the workers get used to the scent of the other hive. The queens eventually kill one another and the population evens out in a few weeks.

As for bee suits I feel the top half and some gloves are really all that's needed provided they have good elastic. Full pants are a must of course. In the video I wore the old bee suit with bad elastic and 6 bees managed to get inside. Despite 2 on my back, 2 on my face, 1 on my arm and another that got somewhere I wasn't stung at all. I did take a quick break inside the house though. There's nothing like that feeling of a bee crawling inside your vale while 40 others are outside trying to sting you.
Attached Thumbnails
Harvesting Honey (Video)-swarmingbees4.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-swarmingbees3.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-swarmcatching.jpg   Harvesting Honey (Video)-swarmcatching2.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
WG Operations, Facilitator

Great beekeeper video MrILoveTheAnts! Narrated in terms even a non-beekeeper person (like me) can understand.

Wow all that honey! YUMMY!!!

I'll let the resident black bears know that you are offering honey as the photo of the month prize. Perhaps they will be a bit more cooperative while I photograph them.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I don't know if I'm going to have any options in this. I'll translate your post then print it out for them but... they're their bees and my hive's over there so that's about all I can do. I don't think the doubling effect would bother me or not but I'd probably be more into sharing the first time then doubling my own personal hives. We'll see if I even get my own bees next spring or if I have to wait another year. I'll be really bummed if the bees swarm up and not into my new hive!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I don't know if anyone is selling their honey or not but.... I just connected some dots in my head and came up with an idea. Honey’s a substitute for sugar.... I've used it in a pinch making breads and in other recipes. I wasn't really thinking much about it until I started reading that blog that Graylock recommended and the woman reminded me that honey is a substitute for white sugar, http://homejoys.blogspot.com/search/label/Food, “I buy my honey from a friend who raises bees. A few years ago, one gallon of honey lasted us a whole year. As our family grew larger and I've replaced honey for white sugar in many of our recipes, our honey consumption has rapidly increased.”. If folk selling honey added a few simple recipes rubberbanded to the bottle along with a basic substitution ratio wouldn't that be a marketing tool? Honey does have more vitamins and minerals than sugar and I bet most people don't know that so it could be a selling point. I guess I'm just thinking outloud.

Tags
bee hive, bee hives, bee swarm, bee video, beekeeper, beekeepers, beekeeping, bees, harvest, harvest honey, harvesting, harvesting honey, havest, hive, hives, honey, swarm, video