Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvatica View Post
Thank you. Yes, OP means original poster. You're not as behind as you think!
I had to think about it, but somehow it came to me.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #32
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Sylvatica - you are wise beyond your years. Your parents must be very proud of you. It's good to hear advice on teens from a teen. It's true everyone experiences self-awareness at different times in their lives. Just getting a teen to think about where they are headed is such a positive step.

Personality has a lot to do with how teens react to life issues, as well as how they relate to their parents. Mine is quite introverted and quiet usually and I know there are so many pressures on her right now. College board scores, applications, AP classes, etc, etc. not to mention all the social interactions. So far I'm impressed with how she is tackling the new school year and all the extra homework with a positive attitude. I just think she balked at the idea of doing homework over summer break! Her project got done with as little intervention from me as she, and I, could stand. Nature really isn't her thing right now but she can dissect a fetal pig with zeal and curiousity (eech). I don't think I could do that without being queasy!

This is going to be a big year for her and hopefully she can navigate the obstacles with our support.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

bridget1964> "So, you work with dead people?" I seeeeeeeee dead people.... just kidding.... I'm not Cole Sear. I do have access to the real toe tags though.... you want one to tag tineckbone? Sylvatica, "Haha, it's funny to see you guys talking about teens like they're wild animals or something..." Leave me out!!!! The teens I know aren't any competition in the wild animal department for the older set. The teens I know seem sorta comatose most of the day and when they're not horizontally challenged sawing logs.... they're all kinda on the quiet and reserved side. You wanna walk on the wild side and have a blast at the same time.... volunteer at a retirement village where everybody has a sense of humor or better yet.... a level I memory care unit at a nursing home. Most of the residents are a stitch and they're tons of fun because they aren't trying to impress anyone.... all they want to do is have a good time so their antics put teens to shame!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #34
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Sylvatica, "Haha, it's funny to see you guys talking about teens like they're wild animals or something..." Leave me out!!!! The teens I know aren't any competition in the wild animal department for the older set. The teens I know seem sorta comatose most of the day and when they're not horizontally challenged sawing logs.... they're all kinda on the quiet and reserved side. You wanna walk on the wild side and have a blast at the same time.... volunteer at a retirement village where everybody has a sense of humor or better yet.... a level I memory care unit at a nursing home. Most of the residents are a stitch and they're tons of fun because they aren't trying to impress anyone.... all they want to do is have a good time so their antics put teens to shame!!!
Haha, I'll take your word for it! That does sound like a good time!

So, maybe these teens are more like... wild sloths?
Sylvatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #35
Official Plant Nerd

Wild sloths, eh? I know a trick to save wild sloths from growing moss on them.... parents can ram the vacuum cleaner up against the bedroom doors around noon. It's a secret "save the wild sloths" campaign... shhhh don't tell.

Tags
education, encourage, encouragement, environment, interest, involved, learn, learning, learns, motivate, motivation, nature, teenager, teenagers, youth