Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Salamander

I agree...I often think about what IF...what IF I'd had any adults around who were into the things that would mean so much to me later! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that my life would've been so much better. But I had two good, loving parents...and at least I never lived in a urban concrete jungle during my childhood. There was always a way to commune with nature somehow. DD once went through an "I hate her!" phase when she was a teenager. I got a lot of attitude for a while. But she turned out okay...and so much smarter than her mother! She has since seen the other side of coin, having two children who have been in many ways more difficult to raise than she was!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I like the post-it note on the forehead idea. If only mine slept here once in awhile!

If 17 seems challenging, I agree that pre-teens are completely befuddling. I don't even want to remember that age.

She's always been involved, perhaps without knowing it, with the natural world just because of our environment and my interests. We've lived many places, mostly rural with acreage except 2 years in the suburbs in Ontario. She's been riding horses and around animals since she was very young. We've collected leaves together and identified the trees around us. I think a lot of her understanding has been absorbed through our rural lifestyle. I do think this will show itself to her later in her life. But right now she has a project to do and is more interested in going to the fair, swimming in the creek, going to bonfires, and enjoying the last weekend of summer with her friends.

I do believe the last quote from Sobel when he says that people who embrace environmental values later in life have a remembrance of a wild place from childhood. I'm definitely one of those people. I never had a mentor or someone who had love for nature early on in life. Those kids are fortunate in my opinion.
It sounds like you've given her a great foundation.

I think she may realize that she knows the names and recognizes trees and plants that her peers don't have a clue about, and may start to appreciate what she knows evem more.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #23
WG Staff

Let me see if I've got this right. Equilibrium: you toe-tagged a teen?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

Uh huh. Aren't you glad I'm not your mom!!! He said he woke up and didn't notice it until he got out of bed and felt something funny on his foot. He took it off and brought it downstairs waving it in front of my face wanted to know if I brought it home from work.... you know.... if it had been used before. At first I told him ya... reduce reuse recycle but the expression on his face was one I hardly ever see so I quick fast told him if he looked close at it he'd see it was an old plant tag.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Uh huh. Aren't you glad I'm not your mom!!! He said he woke up and didn't notice it until he got out of bed and felt something funny on his foot. He took it off and brought it downstairs waving it in front of my face wanted to know if I brought it home from work.... you know.... if it had been used before. At first I told him ya... reduce reuse recycle but the expression on his face was one I hardly ever see so I quick fast told him if he looked close at it he'd see it was an old plant tag.
OMG! ROFLOL!

So, you work with dead people?
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
Lungwort

Haha, it's funny to see you guys talking about teens like they're wild animals or something...
Sylvatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvatica View Post
Haha, it's funny to see you guys talking about teens like they're wild animals or something...

L-O-L !

You are funny! I was actually going to ask you to give us some feedback/suggestions as a teen yourself. Although I *think* I remember what it was like to be a teenager, it sure has been a while for me.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
L-O-L !

You are funny! I was actually going to ask you to give us some feedback/suggestions as a teen yourself. Although I *think* I remember what it was like to be a teenager, it sure has been a while for me.
Haha, I can try... (By the way, when I say "your daughter" throughout this, I'm addressing the OP, not dapjwy. :P )

We teens are still discovering ourselves, trying to figure out what kind of people we want to be, and what we want to be doing for the rest of our lives. (Personally, I can tell you that self-discovery has been the biggest struggle in my life for the past couple years or so.) Unfortunately, some people are more driven to resolve these internal questions than others. It's just a matter of how quickly your daughter can figure these things out. (I feel so strange, trying to give words to things like this...)

I don't know. I have this image in my head of the kind of person I want to be. Every morning, I wake up and try to create that person through my actions, what I say, the kinds of clothes I wear... This image has been changed by the people I've met and the opinions I've formed. I guess you just have to figure out what kind of image your daughter has in her head, and furthermore, what could be influencing that image (possibly negatively).

Being more specific, I've never had the ecological reinforcement your daughter has been given. I was outside constantly when I was younger, but it was never a "let's go out and identify trees with mom and dad" kind of deal. It was "let's go walk the dogs; let's go biking; let's take a hike". It's hard to pinpoint what turns the attention to ecology, I suppose...

At any rate, you could see if your daughter can give you a better idea of her intentions for college and possible careers. My parents make me write down my goals at the beginning of every school year. Being a senior this year, your daughter must be thinking about it. As some of you know all too well, I have been anxious about these things, and I'm just a junior this year.

Um, sorry if I tried to sound authoritative during any of that. I'm very humbled by the experience and wisdom of all the members here and I just hope I've said one helpful thing.

Last edited by Sylvatica; 08-12-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvatica View Post
Haha, I can try... (By the way, when I say "your daughter" throughout this, I'm addressing the OP, not dapjwy. :P )

We teens are still discovering ourselves...

Um, sorry if I tried to sound authoritative during any of that. I'm very humbled by the experience and wisdom of all the members here and I just hope I've said one helpful thing.
You continue to amaze me. You are an authority on your experiences as a teenager. You've expressed yourself very well.

I hated to cut your words in the quote, but I was trying to save space.

You put it so well you make me remember that, as a teen, I thought that I should make a video to my future self telling my future self not to forget this, that, and the other thing that were important to me and who I wanted to be. I never did it, but I think I'm still basically the person I wanted to be, but I've also incorporated things I've learned along the way.

BTW, "OP" means "original poster"? You know you are getting old when you can't figure out what the younger generation is saying!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #30
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
BTW, "OP" means "original poster"? You know you are getting old when you can't figure out what the younger generation is saying!
Thank you. Yes, OP means original poster. You're not as behind as you think!

Tags
education, encourage, encouragement, environment, interest, involved, learn, learning, learns, motivate, motivation, nature, teenager, teenagers, youth