Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Too Wild To Garden

Default Firefly Watch

Last year the Boton Museum of Science ran a data-gathering website to gather information on fireflies. The results can be seen here:

https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/view_and_explore_data

I assume they will be running it again this summer. Participation is simple: register your yard, and then enter data on the presence of fireflies (or lack thereof) when you feel like it.

This is a particularly good project to involve children in.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Big Fat juicy WORM

This is something my grandbabies love to do! I save a couple of clear plastic dishes with lids just for this purpose. They can come to Nana's house and chase lightening bugs all over the yard, LOL We collect and then release them. Meantime the adults can laze a bit an watch em run around......no trouble getting to sleep on those nights, LOL.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Too Wild To Garden

D'oh! I posted this in the wrong area.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

What do you mean you posted it in the wrong area?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Heron

Fireflies are becoming scarce due to the pesticides people put on their lawns. What a shame.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Big Fat juicy WORM

Amen to that one. We have multitudes of them, because we use nothing but organic methods. The grass is a hardly a picture, but the insects and birds don't seem to mind. And I don't worry if the grand children roll about and get dirty here. Their mother gets in a twist, but we got a bathtub, they're washable......LOL
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Heron

Doccat, I'm with you on the firefly tip. If one wants fireflies...they shouldn't use pesticides on their lawn!
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Big Fat juicy WORM

Nor herbicides either, they don't do the beneficial any good either.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Too Wild To Garden

Oooh! everyone who participated in Firefly Watch last yeat gets a free day of admission to the Boston Museum of Science in April!

Quote:
It's been a long, cold winter up here in New England, and we are excited about the upcoming firefly season. To kick things off, the Museum is hosting Firefly Day on April 11. As a member of our Firefly Watch Citizen Science team, you are invited to the Museum that day as our guest. We hope to see you there.
If you live in the Boston area, this is a great reason to participate this coming firefly season, because admission to the museum is expensive!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
WG Operations, Facilitator

Stoloniferous,

Thank you for posting the link about fireflies.
https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/view_and_explore_data

I addition to tracking firefly sightings, the website has some fascinating information about the life a firefly. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Quote:
Why Do Fireflies Flash?

All living creatures that sexually reproduce must attract a mate, and their mating behavior varies widely throughout the animal kingdom. For animals active in the dark, visual signals are not always possible, so they use other cues.
For instance:
  • Crickets sing.
  • Moths use pheromones — a kind of animal perfume.
  • Some spiders stomp their feet while others pluck the web threads. Daddy longlegs use touch.
Fireflies — at least the ones that flash — are unusual in that they have light-producing capabilities, making visual signals in the dark. Male fireflies flash while patrolling an area. If a female is impressed, she answers him by flashing from a perch, either on the ground or at some spot above ground, like a shrub.
It is up to the female to decide if she wants to mate with a particular male; if she doesn't respond to his flash, he cannot find her in the dark.
hmmm, starting to think I should bring a flashlight to bed with me at night. AWE just kidding.

BooBooBearBecky

Tags
firefly, watch