Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Grub

Default Native tree learning for kids

I heard of a neat place for kids in my area. I visited a local family owned and run farm/nursery this weekend and loved it. I'd post the link but am not sure I'm supposed to with them being a nursery. When I mentioned this farm to a neighbor he told me his went with his kids on a class field trip there where they walked the farm, learned about native trees and at the end of the walk each child planted a native tree. Apparently the children loved it, love the place and want to go there often. I thought this was wonderful. Not having children I don't know much about activities for them but are other places doing things like that? How nice!

They also have catfish feeding hours where kids can go feed the fish, silly fun stuff. And an apple cannon which I want. This is why I told my neighbor about it, I was trying to borrow his kids so I could go and not look so strange...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Administrator

Sharing a link to a wholesome family activity would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
And an apple cannon which I want. This is why I told my neighbor about it, I was trying to borrow his kids so I could go and not look so strange...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Grub

Kinsey Family Farm & Nursery - if you are in North Georgia, go there. FUN. There was some Amazing Race thing going on while I was there, apparently the apple cannon was a stop on the race. These groups of happy screaming people kept running through and firing the cannon. I was dying to try the cannon but was afraid I'd get run over by some little old lady in the race. yikes.

I also got a bald cypress which I am thrilled to have. The man I dealt with was very knowledgeable about native plants. I could have hugged him. For me natives are at least a 4 hour drive, mostly mail order.

My neighbor promised I could borrow his kids so we are going back to feed the fish. Seems that is a big whoop with the children.

What a great idea for a school field trip though.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
his kids on a class field trip there where they walked the farm, learned about native trees and at the end of the walk each child planted a native tree.
This is absolutely wonderful. Children love hands on.

Tags
kids, learning, native, tree