Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Mentor

Default How a minority group can influence the majority

I think it is fairly safe to conclude that those actively seeking to enhance habitat for wildlife in any meaningful way are the minority.

The problem with conformity is that it works against us more often than for us. Asch once performed an experiment where confederates (planted people) gave wrong answers to a very simple question. When 6 confederates gave incorrect answers, a third of the time the real participant would also give the incorrect answer as well. Upon further questioning they would often defend their incorrect answers. Sherif & others have done similar studies showing the effects of group conformity.

When can a minority group influence a majority group?

Well, according to studies by Moscovici & others:
  1. Minority influence is greatest when the minority is seen as consistent.
  2. Minorities seen as growing in numbers are more influential.
I believe the numbers of people being educated about how to manage backyards for wildife are growing thanks to greater reach of educational materials, so #2 should hold true. #1 is an issue things like wildlife gardeners policy statements should help with over time. It takes time for any movement to really gain a foothold. I think it is encouraging to know consistentcy and persistence have been found effective influence variables in other areas.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I think that doing our own thing in our yards and spending time in our communities and with anyone who's interested goes a long way too. I've had people who stopped in ask if they could bring back friends... and they did. I try not to let them leave empty handed. I always try to give them a plant or a cutting to take home. It's the neighborly thing to do and they can see I'm not a business but a homeowner just like them.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

That's a great way, Lib!

I thought about what it would take to change the attitude of the condo board and manager, and all the condo owners, and came to the conclusion it's an impossible task. The lady downstairs freaks at the thought of a squirrel in the garden. They sure don't want "weeds" and more wildlife to contend with.

Maybe someday, someone will develop condos that WG would design...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Oh horrors... a squirrel... in a garden??? Up her lithium will you.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Heron

I'm a weird one. I'd be over joyed to see a squirrel in the yard. But I live in a suburban desert.

The problem is education. People don't understand what invasive species (plants) can do to our environment. They like a plant and want to keep it. Its not taking over their yard, so its ok.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

Chin up. A growing number of gardeners who want to educate themselves are beginning to feel more confident about asking questions and expressing views that oppose conventional wisdom.

Most of us don't have the opportunity to meet up with others who share our very same questions and concerns. The right environment needs to be provided.

Tags
group, influence, majority, minority