Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Grub

Default Wild plants clinic Sandhill Outdoor Center Babcock WI

Wild plants: food, medicine, survival clinic

BABCOCK, Wis. – People interested in learning traditional uses for common plants and survival tips can join survivalist and plant expert Jason Faunce for a walk on the wild side at Sandhill Wildlife Area. This one-day clinic on Saturday, September 12 will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Participants are asked to bring their own lunch and to wear clothing and shoes appropriate for walking in the outdoors.
Registration is limited to 15 people on a first-come, first-served basis and is confirmed by mailing in a registration fee of $20 per person by Sept. 4. Participants may stay overnight in the center’s dorm either prior to, or following the event for a donation of $15 per person per night.
Checks should be made out to DNR-Skills Center. Include the name of each participant, and the address and daytime phone number of one person in each party. Send your registration fee to: Sandhill Outdoor Skills Center, PO Box 156, Babcock, WI 54413. Inquiries on the status of registrations may be sent via e-mail to: Richard.Thiel@wisconsin.gov.
The Sandhill Outdoor Skills Center is located 20 miles west of Wisconsin Rapids on County Highway X, 1 mile north of Highway 80 near Babcock, Wisconsin on the 9,000 acre Department of Natural Resources Sandhill Wildlife Area.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Sandhill Skills Center at: (715) 884-6333 or (715) 884-2437
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Are you going trillium? We could go and trip over other people besides just tripping over each other.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Grub

lol! No I'm not going. Sounds interesting though. I would like to know more about medicinal uses of natives. Gotta get around to getting a book one of these days. I thought we had some people near there though that might be interested!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Then I'm not going to go either. It would have been fun to go with somebody I know but I'm not all that interested in medicinal uses of plants. The hike through the Sandhill Wildlife area would have been nice. We could go it on our own though.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Grub

That would be fun! I think it's maybe 45 minutes to an hour north of me. I want to say Necedah refuge where the whooping cranes are is close to that as well.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Let's pick a weekend and do it. Any other place you'd like to try? I've got my eye on a few others.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Pope

You all are making me jealous. Anyone in the Mid-Atlantic interested in a hike?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

She's about 3.5 hours away from me but I had a blast with her the last time. It is so worth it to reach out and meet somebody. So many of us don't list what state we're in that it's hard to figure out where we're all coming from. I wish it was mandatory to list what state we were in.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Let's pick a weekend and do it. Any other place you'd like to try? I've got my eye on a few others.
Maybe sometime in Sept when the fall colors start? I have been working crazy hours lately, and almost every weekend. I'm sure we'll find somewhere to get in trouble...err I mean explore!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Definitely... explore. Let's do it from more of a vertical position this time. Weekends are best for me. No days off for a long time.

Tags
babcock, center, clinic, outdoor, plants, sandhill, wild