Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
WG Facilitator

Seeeee - you did great!

Buckets - check with a fast food restaurant for empty pickle buckets, I've been told. My personal source is a food cannery - I get the buckets their cleaning stuff comes in - already clean - just need rinsing.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
Unicellular Fungi

Success!

Accolades!
Accolades!
Accolades!

You became the overnight celebrity I knew you would become. Your power point presentation was delightful and educational.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Garden Angel

Thanks folks.

Far from celebrity, I'd rather feel less unique; I've been amazed that people don't know much about composting for years, but figured it was because it can be such an onerous process. Bokashi's different because it's so easy to do "right" and accepts everything; I really hope it catches on here and elsewhere.

I have 3 more "classes" scheduled; none are informal, like this was meant to be. I didn't use any of the notes that I'd typed in the presentation for the presentation, it just really wasn't possible given the situation.

Any input is appreciated, I have a few weeks until the next gig. If you're inclined to critique, please do.

Biig: my friend and I have discussed using non "food-grade" buckets for the process, as they are all pickle buckets we've got right now (or don't have, as it were). Though we have very few canneries around here, what sort of materials are in the cleaning buckets? Or, do you mean "buckets that had fish cleaning offal" in them?
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
WG Facilitator

I don't know what's in them, although they did at one time have labels. But any cleaning solution they use is food-grade when diluted properly. As long as I rinse, it's safe. Not sure I would feel the same about buckets I'd find at a mechanics shop.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

Bravo!!! Take a bow. What's to critique? The powerpoint is well done. So well done others could use it in a snap. For buckets can't you just start driving around on garbage days looking for people who use that clump litter? Once you spot a house you can ask them to save them for you. Do the buckets matter? Do you want them to all be the same?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Garden Angel

Thanks for comments, Equil, and everyone.

To answer your question, Equil: I have posted on freecycle for cat litter buckets, but got few responses and none of them panned out. I haven't driven around looking for them, though. We use ours, but w/3 cats don't go through much.

The buckets don't really matter, other than that, until I figure out a better way, there must be 2 symetrical ones (or 4, as it were; 2 for in the kitchen, 2 when those are full.)

I would be happy if others could use the presentation; if fact, I wish they would! But, I know that there are rough edges, glaring ommissions, and just generally better ways to go about it, but I'm only discovering them slowly at this point.
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #27
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
But, I know that there are rough edges, glaring ommissions, and just generally better ways to go about it,
No there aren't.

This is your presentation. This is how you successfully create bokashi. The members of your audience would not have been exposed to how easy it is to do this at home were it not for you. You haven given them a gift of your time and your expertise. No two experts are ever in complete agreement.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #28
WG Staff

Great work CincyGarden!

Three more scheduled classes is exceptional follow up to the demand you created.

Job well done.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
Pope

Cincygarden! I did not know that your bokashi was on its way to me! I was out of town for a few days and it sat in my P. O. box all that time. It smells like Marmite (which is how it should smell? Not offensive unless I open the bag). Is it okay?

I tried to review your presentation earlier today, but could not access it. What should I do now?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #30
Pope

Actually, I have told a lie, Cincygarden. It smells like...well, once I opened it I couldn't stop laughing and had to sit down. It is sitting quietly on the porch at the moment. I am so sorry! Was it accidently harmed sitting in my Post Office?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appreciated, bokashi, education, input