Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Pope

I thought that it was a very clever project, but was afraid to ask about the frogs (although it would NOT seem like you, Equilibrium, to spray bleach all over frogs!). I am enormously relieved to know that they were plastic because now I can say "What a clever idea, Equilibrium!"
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Tip toeing in for a moment.

OHSA is most likely addressing workers using corrosive bleaches. Normal strength bleach is not corrosive. Additionally, it will have lost 50% of its strength within 90 days from sitting on the store shelf and before that the warehouse shelf. Normal strength bleach is an eye and skin irritant however that's about it and that's why you won't see it labeled as corrosive. This may be confirmed with a pediatrician however it is my understanding a direct bleach splash to an eye would not lead to permanent eye damage and in fact this has happened to me when doing laundry. Fabric dyes, such as those used in tie dying, are the sleepers. Most readily available fabric dyes should not be used in programming for lower elementary children with or without adequate supervision-
PRODUCT MATRIX - Dyes
Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

There were more game board pieces. Salamanders and dragonflies I think were in the pack too. It's been a long time. I was surprised my kid picked the frogs. I was hoping he was going to pick a flying insect. Last year a child used buttons to make "berries" for his oak leaves which I thought was interesting. Interesting from the standpoint that he added "berries" not "acorns".
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Heron

I think its a cool project. I want a shirt like that even with the floating in the air frogs. Lots of things in life are dangerous when misused. Its a good learning experience to use things properly.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

It does sound like a cool project. But the bleach idea concerns me too. Roger was put in an orphanage at age 6 until after he graduated from high school. All the kids had chores - this being in the 40s-50s - and at some point his was the laundry. He wondered what the bleach smelled like so he took a good whiff. This unfortunate event destroyed his sense of smell for the rest of his life. So because of his experience, I'd probably not let kids near bleach. It is very caustic.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

Bleach is any chemical that whitens or removes color. The bleaches sold for us to use for whitening our laundry are formulated with Sodium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite degrades rapidly and completely. Clorox is 6% and some of the generics are less than that at 3%. In the 1940's and 1950's, Clorox brand bleach was formulated with chlorine and sodium hydroxide and I believe the percentages were a heck of a lot more than 6%. Poor Roger. I can totally understand why you would be hesitant to let kids around any bleach.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

When we were in the nature preserves yesterday, I made a comment to Roger about the strong but beautiful melange of scents from all the things growing around us but he couldn't smell a thing. Sad...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

That must take all the fun out of eating if you can't smell your food. Have you ever tried to "taste" food with a plugged up nose before... it's hard... real hard.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
Too Wild To Garden

Well. . . perhaps the household bleach available today is reasonably safe for this sort of project. Lorax, in case of emergency, I assume you are prepared to give a panicing six-year-old a five- to ten-minute eyewash. Eye Chemical In I'm not sure I would be up for the challenge, personally.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

Household bleach is relatively safe for this type of a project particularly in a spray bottle. Your son is too young for a spray bottle however I'm 100% positive you know that. This project might be fun when he's around 4-5 with you standing behind him guiding his hand with the pump. Some acquire the motor skills to use a spray bottle earlier than others. Perhaps when he is a little bit older you might be more comfortable. Sounds like a fun and age appropriate project for lower elementary students to me.

I believe most people who regularly work with children are well prepared. There are the background checks, tb tests, chest x-rays, verification of certification, and ongoing continuing education requirements that would preclude those not qualified from being able to work with children. Even organizations such as Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts require full physicals and training for adult leaders. First Aid and CPR certification are a given.

This is a little kit that can be fun for pre-school children as young as 2-
Home of the Sunprint Kit

Tags
craft, nature, project, simple, t-shirt