Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Fox

Smile Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin

I just renewed my membership in the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin and I began to wonder if other states have a similar organization. This is what the foundation is about:
Quote:
The Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin provides sustainable funding for Wisconsinís most imperiled species and public lands, while helping citizens connect with our stateís unique natural places.
Quote:
We work to protect Wisconsinís natural heritage by supporting critical conservation work through our grant programs, offering opportunities for people to experience Wisconsinís outdoors through our field trip program, and providing a means for people to help protect Wisconsinís lands, waters, and wildlife that they cherish most, through charitable giving and the Wisconsin Conservation Endowment.
One of the things that they do is put together field trips so that the average person can experience some of the wonders of the state's natural environment:
Quote:
Coordinated more than 1,650 Field Trips, where more than 36,700 people explored significant sites and projects across Wisconsin
History and Mission - Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin

I've been active in the natural world for many years but I didn't learn about this organization until a couple of years ago. The organization has been around for 30 years! How did I not know about them?!

It was the field trips that eventually caught my attention. Last year we went on 4 trips. We explored a prairie remnant, toured a lichen rich woods, attended a class on identifying native bees and walked through an old growth forest. They were all great trips.

The field trips are guided by very knowledgeable people and typically last about 3 hours. The cost is very reasonable, typically about $15 to $30. Groups are generally limited to 10 - 20 people so that each person can enjoy the full experience. Last year there were over 180 trips to choose from. Here's a link to last year's guidebook which lists all of the trips that were available:
https://issuu.com/wisconservation/docs/final_2016_field_trip_guidebook

And here's a brief description of the field trip program:
Field trip basics - Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin

Do you know of any other states have similar organizations offering field trips to the general public?
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sounds like some pretty awesome trips to have participated in.
So it's $25 to join and from $15-$30 per trip?
Do you know when the 2017 field trip guide becomes available for review?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Fox

Yes, we had a great time on ours. There are all kinds of adventures available - banding song birds, banding owls, pontoon tour of Horicon Marsh and the Mississippi River, canoe trips on the Wisconsin river down to Aldo Leopold's Shack, tours of prairies, wetlands, lakes, etc., etc. Something for everyone with an interest in the outdoors.

$25 is the individual membership. The individual membership allows you to bring up to 5 guests on a field trip that you register for. Last year you could register for up to 4 trips during the early registration period. After April 15th you could register for an additional 4 trips.

The $15 - $30 per person per trip cost is an average. Some are a little more. A trip that includes a pontoon ride, for example, will be more. Many of the trips will be the same as last year (2016) as listed in the online guidebook:
https://issuu.com/wisconservation/docs/final_2016_field_trip_guidebook
The price for each trip is listed with each trip description. Page 44 of the online guidebook has the specific field trip registration details.

This year's guidebook should be out about the middle of February. They are expecting to have about 200 trips this year.

If you are thinking about going on some trips I would definitely become a member before February 15. That allows you to participate in the early registration period. Many of the more popular trips fill up during this early registration period (late March).
https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/WisconservationMembership
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation, natural, resources, wisconsin