Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

camera4 Panasonic FZ150

For those who have, or are thinking of, purchasing the Panasonic FZ150

Leading in with a few lens options:

The 1, 2, 4, 10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set.
Amazon.com: Digital Concepts 1 2 4 10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (58mm): Camera & Photo

The 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer)
Amazon.com: 52mm High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) For The Nikon D5000, D5100, D3000, D3100, D700, D7000 Digital SLR Cameras Which Have Any Of These (24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm, 85mm, 105mm) Nikon Lenses: Camera & Phot

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Discussion so far.......................

Quote:
Linrose:
I'll have to check out some of those filters. The only filters Panasonic offers for this model is the MC, a transparent filter that acts as a lens protector ($21), the ND filter that reduces light to the lens by 1/8th ($21), and the PL filter that represses reflected light for more contrast, meaning polarizing ($60). I'm sure you can get less expensive filters from other companies, this is one that came up when browsing Amazon. Amazon.com: 52mm Filter Kit For Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150K DMC-FZ150 Digital Camera Includes 52mm Multi-Coated 3 PC Filter Kit (UV, CPL, FLD) + LensPen Cleaning Kit + Lens Cap Keeper + Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

I would like to get the tele conversion ($190) and the close up ($73) lenses. You need the lens adapter ($25) for both of those.
There are probably less expensive ones that are adaptable from other companies but I'll spring for the Panasonic brand to ensure compatibility.
Just as a warning, the USB cable that connects your PC to the camera is finicky. If you aren't careful the ends get bent.

Here's a quick macro setting - the flower icon on the dial AND the AFflower icon on the side (the middle focus setting).

Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #3

A link for the owners manual.
Quote:
NEWisc:
Yes, so many features means so much to learn. Here's the link to download the manuals.
Operating Manuals for Panasonic Products

One thing to make the process easier is to learn the Custom feature first. You can preset a whole bunch of settings for one type of picture taking with the Custom setting, like macros for example. Then when you see that close up of a bug you can just turn to the Custom preset and click away.

With the macro situation taken care of for the time being, you can then focus your attention on the other difficult situation of getting good distance shots like that bird up in the top of a 100 foot tree.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Hava - are you having fun with your new toy yet? I haven't purchased any accoutrements for it, no fancy lenses or even a UV filter yet. Can't wait to see your experimentations with it!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

I tried the camera using both the floral modes as you had suggested. Looks good but I also noticed I can't use the zoom along with them to get those super close shots of lets say, insect body parts. Focal problems BIG time. Is there a route to do that?

One thing I see I didn't like when viewing the taken photos was when you Zoom in for a closer look. It is not a smooth panning gradual movement to enlarge an area. It jerks to a larger view, then another jerk to a larger yet view of a section. I loose track of which area it's choosing to boink to. I'm used to a smooth slow merging into an increased view of an area of MY choice.

boink boink boink.... bigger bigger bigger wherever IT chooses.

I just went to play with it a bit and took A shot and now have a dead battery. Looked for the contents box and it's not there...Agggggh Someone MOVED it. Where? I do not know. May be a while before I can play as the charger and extra battery were in that box!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Are you using the zoom on the left side of the camera in front of the focus mode switch? That is very smooth. I never use the zoom dial on the top right side of the camera, it's too awkward. Look under the 24x optical zoom print on the left of the camera and find the T - W button. Always push the shutter halfway down to focus on your subject. Sometimes I actually use the close-up mode with the close-up focus even though I'm at some distance and then zoom in to my subject if they are skittish like a butterfly or deer. It seems to work pretty well but you have to experiment with it yourself to see what works best for you.

Oooh, you don't want to lose that battery charger. I find the battery lasts a pretty long time as long as I'm not taking video. I now have two backup batteries just in case. The manual suggests taking the battery out between uses to extend the battery life but as much as you and I use our cameras that's not practical. You can get an extra battery charger bundled with two extra batteries if that helps. Good luck finding the box!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

No. I was using the zoom on the front right much the same as my current model has. I'll have to give the other one you mentioned a try.
I'm finally ready to start toying with the new toy, I start a new thread for discussions and the camera's dead until further notice.............Name:  pissed.gif
Views: 38
Size:  9.7 KB

Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #8

As far as I'm concerned that dial on the top right is redundant and clumsy, I wouldn't use it. Find that charger! (or buy a new one!)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

I already have two batteries! It does seem a little redundant having two zoom option areas but I AM used to using the area up front so to me it feels natural. The side one not so but in time it will become a part of me. Now if only I could find my box!

I'm all set for the tour of my gardens come Fri-Sat so I think I'll disappear up to camp for a few days. I'll go in search of it after the event.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #10

Enjoy your tour!!! Have fun and brag a lot!

Tags
camera, education, fz150, learn, learning, model, panasonic, photograph, photographer, photography, photos, pictures, settings, taking pictures