Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #61
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

We could try the way I have to do it, though my photos are set to open in Picasa. Before I remove the SD card from the computer after the photos have uploaded, I have to:
From the Start button click Computer
then click on the SD card

Let me know when you get this far
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #62
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Possibly Monday?
I'd like to get caught up with the posts I missed while away before the grandson arrives by 4:00 today for the weekend.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #63

Sure, that's fine. Havalotta fun with the little guy this weekend!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #64
Official Plant Nerd

hava> 1 of the times I was at your house I downloaded and installed that PhotoFiltre for you. I'm pretty sure I showed you how to use it so you could re-size photos which is about all I know how to do with it. You might want to check your program files and see if it's still on your computer because supposedly it does quite a bit if somebody takes the time to learn how to use it which.... I've never done.
--
I'm thinking your son might be making a mistake.... my operating system is older than yours.... waaaaaaaay older than yours. I've got XP and it can handle all videos. You might need a new video card and drivers though.
--
I know I'm not explaining this good enough. The setting I was trying to explain to you was a setting somewhere on our cameras that we can get to from the menu somehow. My husband reduced mine for me. Reducing the resoultion does something that reduces the size of the photo files so we're not eating up our hard drives and chips with jpegs that are 4-5 MB or larger instead of around 1500 kb or... aprx 1.5 MB. That's a HUGE difference in file size. These gazillion mega pixels cameras really eat up space on a hard drive fast and.... they slooooooow our computers down!!! My hard drive is bigger than yours.... I've got a 1T hard drive and yours I think was half the size of mine at 500 MB or maybe even 1/4 the size which is why you got yourself all locked up and in trouble getting all those error messages a coupla years ago when you were saving videos from your old camera. 1 short little video from my camera is the equivalent of about 10 of your raw photos because you've got that setting on super high which is the way they told me they come from the factory by default. When I resize my photos before posting em here.... I'm resizing em to under 250 kb usually so they load fast but.... I could still print off an 8 x10 photo and it'd look good. FWIW.... What are kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes?. My hard drive can supposedly handle about 500,000 photos from my camera.... if I was using your camera.... I'd only be able to handle about 50,000 and I've got a 1 T hard drive. I'm thinking that if you don't get somebody to reduce the resolution on your new camera.... you're gonna end up pulling out your hair in grid lock again with the # of photos you take. Your new camera is much bigger pixels than your old camera. We don't need those huge files unless we're professional photographers or printing off wall size photos. Right now... even after my husband reduced my resolution... I can still print off poster size photos if I wanted to and they're still good quality. Most I ever print off are 8 x 10s to give to friends and family though.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #65

I'm not having difficulties with the photos themselves, just the videos. They are not visible through windows but if I click upon the cones individually my sone explained it as....something else kicks in so I can see them.

I'm just not able to see the little video clip that shows their actual contents. I could open each of them and re-lable WHAT they are about but no need to at this point in time with me being the only one monkeying around with them here. If they play ok on the tv or table top model I'll be happy. I just haven't tried them out there yet.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #66

I couldn't figure it out either, but Roger did, strange cuz he's a Mac guy. You have to keep the sd card in the computer til the vids are uploaded, then you can remove it. At least the way I have to do it, it's a separate process from uploading the pix. Once they're uploaded, you can name them so you can find them again! I'm not explaining it well, but when you're ready with vids on a card we can set up a chat and try it.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #67
Fox

reminder your email is full havalotta, so here ya go. LOL

hummph, ok but just for fun, try checking your pc, for the 'default program' of which you play various files. Like for example your 'default program' to play a .jpg format file might be Windows Photo Gallery and perhaps your new camera has a different file format to play videos than you previously used from your old camera. That being said, you might a quick check of something from your computer, don't change anything, just go over for a look see. Go to your control panel, then default programs, then set associations. ~Don't change anything, just look!~ scroll down the list to the file extension .jpg it should be associated by default with your program Windows Photo Gallery, or whatever program you are currently using, & prefer. If that is true, that is good. Now scroll further & look for your file format video extension, not the video extension you used by default from your old camera, but the new and different video extension that your new camera uses, I think the 'file format' is different from your old camera to the new one. Your old camera's video extension might of been .wma, or .mpg ~~~but your new camera's video extension is probably different than your old camera. Your new camera's video extension might be .mpeg4 and from the programs association list all of those file formats only open with the program that uses the cone. Hope that makes sense. So just for fun, find one of your new camera videos and click on the properties of your video file, it should say on the general tab, what the type of file extension is exactly, and usually it says what program it opens with. There you will see the cone icon & the name of the program, which is set as your default program for this file format type. Make a note of what the type of file extension is of your new video.

So just for fun, on the properties tab, where it says "opens with", there is a Change button, for this one video you should hit the change button, and see if Windows Photo Gallery is on the list, if it is, click that and change this one video to open by default with the program of your choice which is Windows Photo Gallery. Now that you have changed this one video file to open with your Windows Photo Gallery, the thing should open and play correctly within that program. Test that just for fun, to see if it opens with the program you desire.

If that remains true, then you should go back to your control panel/default programs/set associations, and look for the 'new type file format extension used on your videos that your new camera produces'. It is the same file extension that you made a note of earlier, for that one video from the new camera. Find that extension on the program association list, and change ONLY that one extension, change it to open with Windows Photo Gallery. Windows Photo Gallery is now the default program to use with your new camera video files.

Weird game, don't ya agree?

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I couldn't figure it out either, but Roger did, strange cuz he's a Mac guy. You have to keep the sd card in the computer til the vids are uploaded, then you can remove it. At least the way I have to do it, it's a separate process from uploading the pix. Once they're uploaded, you can name them so you can find them again! I'm not explaining it well, but when you're ready with vids on a card we can set up a chat and try it.
I load photos in via a cable from camera to computer, not by inserting the chip itself into the computer. I then separate them into folders by topic unless it is a Trip. Those I put into a folder in its entirety and only make copies of the ones I may want to use elsewhere.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #69

Why is it you don't insert the chip? I forgot. Do you ever reformat the chip?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #70

No need for me to remove it from the camera if a direct line connects everything.

Quote:
Do you ever reformat the chip?
What's that? When a chip is full it is saved in its original container in a box. I buy new ones whenever I've filled the last.

Sooooo I've the original filled camera chip saved in a box so I can view them as I please via a slideshow-desktop viewer, a copy if it made into the computer for W.G and what ever use AND a copy of that stored into some sort of a back up box system connected to the computer just in case everything crashes and the first copies go poof.

Tags
camera, education, fz150, learn, learning, model, panasonic, photograph, photographer, photography, photos, pictures, settings, taking pictures