Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Grub

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I second donating the captured birds to a raptor center, especially with the rising cost of food. I'm sure that even raising their own mice/birds for feeders has gone up a lot in the past couple of years.

Yes absolutely consider donating the birds to a raptor center. Take into consideration first however - are the birds clean, eaten no poisoned bird bait, healthy, not starved by being contained in the trap? (Being confined for more than a day would probably render the poor things about dead.)

If you cannot dispatch them yourself, or get them to a raptor center right away, it's probably not the greatest idea to trap these birds. Yes they're considered vermin - but so were bald eagles, peregrine falcons, and golden eagles up until 1973! They deserve to receive proper care and a humane death, IMHO.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
Mentor

Hi Donna,

Disclaimer: Sorry to feed you the rationale behind trapping the birds if you've already read about them elsewhere, but I'm not sure who has or hasn't or what lurkers already know who read but don't post. Most people trapping starlings and sparrows know how to euthanize them and freeze them. Freezing kills some kinds of parasites. At the bird santuary near me, most of the birds of prey are trained to eat prekilled prey. Bald eagles are a native bird that have been part of the North American ecosystem for a long, long time. European Starlings have been proven to reduce the native cavity nesting birds numbers by direct competition for nesting locations. So we can either have native cavity nesters, or we can have starlings, but as the number of starlings rise the number of cavities available for native birds go down. Perhaps not a problem if it were not for the constant loss of habitat and expansion of suitable starling habitat (altered land benefits the pest birds). We will likely never remove the starling, so at this point all we are doing is reducing the amount of damage they do.

I do agree that the birds need to be treated in a humane fashion. I would not advise anyone to trap who cannot check the traps regularly and remove native species and make sure the pest birds have access to food and water for a prompt removal to the bird santuary or to be frozen until such a delivery can be made. There are times when the weather makes checking the traps often enough impossible, so if you wouldn't leave your friends dog in that spot, it probably shouldn't have birds in it either. It is also possible some santuaries may refuse them for fear of introducing toxins or for moral reasons, so I would definitely call a head before showing up with frozen birds
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post

Most people trapping starlings and sparrows know how to euthanize them and freeze them.

Midwesternerr - I hope it IS most people. There's a guy near where I live who traps sparrows and when he starts his burn barrel up to burn pesky twigs from his lawn the live animals in the trap go on top of the barrel to burn to death.

When I learned of this horror I volunteered to go over anytime and personally dispatch the birds. He knows where I live. (I don't know his location.) I've never heard back.

These are some of the stories which inspired me to comment about trapping.

Donna in Nebraska
Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

"the live animals in the trap go on top of the barrel to burn to death." That is barbaric.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"the live animals in the trap go on top of the barrel to burn to death." That is barbaric.
I agree with you. That's why I told the guy to get in touch. He never has.

There are many types like this around here. I've seen downer cows moved with forklifts into trucks for slaughter. And more that I can't bear to write down. Sometimes I weep for the inhumanity of the human species. And the unfortunate critters who get caught in our clutches.

Donna in Nebraska
Old 04-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

They need to be humanely destroyed. There is something really wrong with that guy. Very generous of you to offer to dispatch them for him.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
Mentor

I think that might be illegal. There are animal cruelty laws. I cannot say for sure whether they apply to pest species, but in some states I believe those laws even apply to rats and people have been charged with crimes against even rats before!

I think you should report this person to the humane society, they will know who to contact to get this stopped. The information for how to humanely euthanize birds is not hard to find. Also if even one songbird is in there anywhere, then what he is doing is definitely against the law.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
european, starling, trap