Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Heron

Default The benefits of wildlife gardening...

Include instilling a love of and respect for wild things in our children.
I was struck by this the other day, when some other children were over to play in our yard. The most important thing to my four year old was showing the other children the monarch eggs on the underside of the milkweed leaf. Although I should say that her friend, who is also 4, wasn't particularly sure what my child was talking about.

I'm sure many of you have positive stories like this as well! Feel free to share...
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

What a great idea for a thread.

Aside from not being sure what she was talking about, did she seem interested?

I was going to say that I have no story to tell, but I guess I do. Friends of ours have a five year old and a three year old. The three year old is a little girl who has a bit more interest in the birds nesting in our yard than her brother. Starting last year, I took her out to look at bird eggs, butterflies, and anything else we could spot. I think we even saw a snake, and I tried to make sure she wouldn't have any negative impression (even telling her mother to downplay any negative reaction she may have had when hearing the story).

I also showed her some pictures from my blog and two videos...one of the bluebird pair Bluebird Pair Feeding Young - YouTube and another of a tree swallow attempting to put a feather through the entrance hole
. Every time she would come over she'd want to see them (in real life and the pictures and videos as well). It does feel great sharing the wonders and beauty of nature with a child.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 05-20-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Trying to get video or video link inserted properly
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

As soon as my grandson arrives, he's in the front and out the back in search of frogs.
When his ride home arrives, he grabs a hand and leads them to what he's discovered.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
As soon as my grandson arrives, he's in the front and out the back in search of frogs.
When his ride home arrives, he grabs a hand and leads them to what he's discovered.

Aww... ~smile~ That must thrill you!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

We had five grandkids here yesterday, and I'm happy to say that the one who lived here for a while, whose mother was deathly afraid of frogs, was excited that he found a lizard. I guess we were able to overshadow that "ick" impression and let him know it's OK to like those things. Even if Mom doesn't.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Rock Star

I was outside standing at the edge of my driveway after walking the dog one morning when a family group, 1 father and 3 children stopped me and asked if the garden was mine.
When I replied yes the father proceeded to tell me how they had a song they sang, or he sang to the children, every morning on the way to school when they came to the garden.
He called it the sphere garden because of the spherical balls on top of the rebar poles down the length of the street side garden.
The smallest boy shyly stated in a laughing voice, "I hate that song."
But they were having fun walking through the garden every day.

Because my garden is on the way to school for many I usually get one or 2 parents with children make the garden a special feature each morning.
Another family group this year named it the "jungle garden".

As you can see in the photo the garden is on both sides of the walkway so it becomes an experience to walk through it.
I think the parents are brilliant to draw attention to the experience and help their children enjoy nature.
I only have to provide the setting.
Attached Thumbnails
The benefits of wildlife gardening...-img_2080.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
We had five grandkids here yesterday, and I'm happy to say that the one who lived here for a while, whose mother was deathly afraid of frogs, was excited that he found a lizard. I guess we were able to overshadow that "ick" impression and let him know it's OK to like those things. Even if Mom doesn't.
I have never run into anyone deathly afraid of frogs... I'm glad your grandkids are getting past their mom's fright. Maybe you can win her over with time.

A teacher at my daughter's school is afraid of butterflies, moths and other things that might flutter into his face. I thought that was strange enough...

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benefits, butterflies, children, educate, education, gardening, gardens, insects, kids, learn, monarchs, native gardens, nature, observing, plant, sharing, teach, wildlfowers, wildlife