Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #51
Fox

Oh man, 8 hrs. 'running the program time'...I guess.

Gee Whiz, it is beyond me!!! I'm not use to drawing in 3D, and it is like learning another language.......of which I don't do well at learning other languages! hahhaa

I think I'll play with it from time to time, but until I figure out a few basics in using it...don't expect anything from me with that Sketchup program.

I'm not sure the so called 'free' one I downloaded is free, it may be on an 8 hr. test run also...and they just haven't made that clear yet...you know how those internet people are about hooking ya for $$.

ww
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #52
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I did learn some basics of either that program or something similar last year in school...so, hopefully, if I try it, I won't be completely lost. Time will tell.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #53
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I did learn some basics of either that program or something similar last year in school...so, hopefully, if I try it, I won't be completely lost. Time will tell.
Using a blueprint to work out my plans for a garden is just not a part of my makeup. It would be analogous to me sitting with a book of differential equations in my lap, when I have trouble with basic arithmetic.

Everything I have done in my yard, for better or for worse, was simply what made the most sense to me when I had the newly purchased plant in my hand.

Now I don't advocate this type of planning, or lack thereof, as I have paid dearly for it, The biggest example is in my planting forest proportion trees along the East/South East border of my property. As a result, I now need to situate my vegetable garden a good 200' or more from my back door. Only back there is there enough sunlight throughout the day to satisfy the needs of many of the crops I desire to harvest.

Nevertheless, I will never change. Even reading some of the posts in this thread gives me a headache, as I struggle to envision how in the world I would ever properly lay out such designs. I just don't have the mind for it...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Using a blueprint to work out my plans for a garden is just not a part of my makeup. It would be analogous to me sitting with a book of differential equations in my lap, when I have trouble with basic arithmetic.

Everything I have done in my yard, for better or for worse, was simply what made the most sense to me when I had the newly purchased plant in my hand.
I think I fall somewhere in between...with my art background, I feel I could do it justice if I tried. Also, with the use of satellite photos, the basic work would already be done for me--the planning and measuring (at least most of it)...that appeals to my lazy side. At the same time, for the most part, I've just looked at areas in real life and moved potted trees and shrubs where I think they look best, adjusting them, if necessary, before planting. However, that was when I was younger and enhancing an already started landscape. When moving here, and starting with bareroot trees (for the most part), I was at a bit of a loss as to where to start...all the while trying to keep in mind the mature height of things.

Quote:
Now I don't advocate this type of planning, or lack thereof, as I have paid dearly for it, The biggest example is in my planting forest proportion trees along the East/South East border of my property. As a result, I now need to situate my vegetable garden a good 200' or more from my back door. Only back there is there enough sunlight throughout the day to satisfy the needs of many of the crops I desire to harvest.
Sorry to hear about your long trek to your vegetable garden. On the plus side, if you have deciduous trees to the south of your house, at least you will benefit from shade during the hotter months, and passive solar heating during the winter.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 AM   #55
Official Plant Nerd

I have to admit.... I'm laughing at this thread since.... I'm a die hard stick gardener and stick plants anywhere there's space to stick them that's available where I'm reasonably sure their cultural requirements will be met and.... that includes the natural areas of my property. I usually plant in 3s. I do run off of lists of native plants that historically occurred here though so that helps. I'll admit to giving up on using anything but native plants as "ornamentals" up tight around the house or even in the few "designer" landscape beds I have so there's nothing but natives planted willy nilly in those areas too. I keep meaning to do something about those "pockets" so I can add some curb appeal to this house but it never quite happens.... I lack the ability to design anything.... there's just no "artist" in me. What goes where in my veggie beds.... I'm careful with... pretty much for the reasons jack mentioned.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #56
Rock Star

havalotta, in response to your question about paper I think I can help since I regularly use erasure as part of my drawing.
I use a pad of Strathmore 300 vellum surface 100lb heavy weight acid free paper to sketch on.
It takes multiple erasures and comes in pads that are bound with glue so you don't have to deal with pulling them out of a spiral book.

Online JerrysArtarama has them and I just noticed a new pad of the same weight and type from Strathmore that is from a wind powered plant you might consider.
If you want me to send you a few sheets to try it out before you purchase a pad I'd be happy to.

Speaking of pads I'm happily filling the nature journal pad you so kindly gave me on your visit. The quotes at the tops of the pages are really thought provoking. It's really tickles me when what I write on the page coincidentally refers to the quote.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #57
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post

Nevertheless, I will never change. Even reading some of the posts in this thread gives me a headache, as I struggle to envision how in the world I would ever properly lay out such designs. I just don't have the mind for it...

Jack, we are birds of a feather in this. I buy plants impulsively, then wander about my yard deciding where they might go. With the only planning being where I have sun vs shade or completely dry vs occasionally damp (the only wet/sun I have is a tiny part of my bog area of my pond that is long since filled up. Consequently my yard is a mish-mash of shrubs and perennials, with the only theme being native and wildlife beneficial. I worry that the next owner will rip it all out, though if they give it a year to watch the seasons turn there is beauty in the chaos.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
... I worry that the next owner will rip it all out, though if they give it a year to watch the seasons turn there is beauty in the chaos.
People are told to wait one full year to see what comes up before making any changes. Here's hoping all of us who have planted natives will find that future owners recognize the beauty and huge environmental benefits they offer.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I usually plant in 3s.
That is a design element.

...Glad to hear that you "landscape" strictly with natives. That is my goal here.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #60
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
havalotta, in response to your question about paper I think I can help since I regularly use erasure as part of my drawing.
I use a pad of Strathmore 300 vellum surface 100lb heavy weight acid free paper to sketch on.
It takes multiple erasures and comes in pads that are bound with glue so you don't have to deal with pulling them out of a spiral book.

Online JerrysArtarama has them and I just noticed a new pad of the same weight and type from Strathmore that is from a wind powered plant you might consider.
If you want me to send you a few sheets to try it out before you purchase a pad I'd be happy to.

Speaking of pads I'm happily filling the nature journal pad you so kindly gave me on your visit. The quotes at the tops of the pages are really thought provoking. It's really tickles me when what I write on the page coincidentally refers to the quote.
Thank you!
After looking into that site it seems the Strathmore 500 matches best as to what you're telling me to look for but it only comes in 22 x30 sheets
Strathmore 500 Mixed Media - JerrysArtarama.com

The 300 says it's a lightweight sketchpad and doesn't mention a vellum surface ,100lb heavy weight nor acid free anywhere in its write up. Strathmore 300 Sketch - JerrysArtarama.com

Hmmmmm?

I'll check to see if we've an office supply here yet. Most pulled out of dodge but we just MIGHT have a local version of one.
I wouldn't mind trying a sheet....Do you have my address?

It's nice to hear you comment so about the gift I chose for you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Willow. It brought a smile to my face.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, design, gardening, native, plant, putting