Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #41
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Hey dapjwy, have you found a free program, yanno for designing yard plants and stuff?
I've never looked for one for my yard specifically but I've found a good one for designing your garden if that helps....
I use this one yearly Sites-Gardeners-Site

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
Fox

pawprint tks for the suggestion havalotta

Ya like that, Sites-Gardeners-Site garden planner, a kind of 'design' program with various items you can arrange & place...only it would be kind of nice if I could change the borders, round them, trees & shrubs, buildings, & roads, utilities, elevation changes would be nice...stuff like that, thanks havalotta.

ww

Last edited by wildwatcher; 12-23-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: problem posting with paragraph double spacing
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #43
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Bristol board is heavy and durable and doesn't smudge when erasing.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #44
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I go the hand drawn route with each and every plant I add or remove in my yard. Each bed has it's own map.

What I'd like to know is....What type or pad of paper holds up best to repetitive erasing and additions when I change things?
I've tried many kinds of paper and have found those that when erasing are too thin, smear the pencil charcoal around, ball up and remove actual layers from it's surface, and those that wrinkle WAY too easy when it's damp outdoors.

I'm looking for paper to draw upon not much larger than the size of a book so It can be set into one of the clear protective sleeves and brought out to the beds when I alter and tweak things.
I think I've seen a map or two of one of your beds...I doubt I'll ever go that deep--especially with so much land--and more natural areas (not flower beds), but I do want to do a kind of landscape design around the house as a guide for future plantings.

As for paper, maybe someone who is more actively using the art background will have a better suggestion, but all I can think of for now is tracing paper (a good quality tracing paper)--of course you will have to put a white sheet behind it for it to show up well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
...it would be kind of nice if I could change the borders, round them, trees & shrubs, buildings, & roads, utilities, elevation changes would be nice...stuff like that...
I may never do it, but that is what I have in mind as well--especially the elevation changes. Great minds think alike.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Thanks, linrose.

I am not even sure if I remember what Bristol board is...I remember using something called "cold press" board (or something like that).
Old 12-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #47
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks Linrose I'm not familiar with that but I'll be on the look out for it and the cold pressed as Dapjwy suggests.

Cold pressed mentions it has some texture to it for illustrations and watercolor
The more slick one I had tried (that smeared the erasures) must have been what's called the "Hot pressed"

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Thanks Linrose I'm not familiar with that but I'll be on the look out for it and the cold pressed as Dapjwy suggests.

Cold pressed mentions it has some texture to it for illustrations and watercolor
The more slick one I had tried (that smeared the erasures) must have been what's called the "Hot pressed"
I don't guarantee that cold press will work...I just remember using it when I went to school for art.

I think tracing paper should hold up to erasing just due to its texture...and, you could always use it for an overlay...or several overlays to show what is growing underneath a tree canopy or something--yay, I just gave myself an idea!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #49
Fox

pawprint free, for only 8 hrs LOL

SketchUp for Landscape Architecture | SketchUp

I just happened upon this 3D program, it is $590 for the pro version, BUT they do have '8 hours' for a free demo, yanno if anyone is interested in something like that. I haven't tried to download it yet, because it is probably a huge download file.

Oh I found a free version only 43mb file download, I am going to give a try: http://google-sketchup.en.softonic.com/

ww

Last edited by wildwatcher; 01-04-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add another link
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #50

Thanks, ww.

When I saw 8 hours free, I immediately looked at when you posted this--then, it occurred to me that it is 8 hours from when you download the demo...right?

I'm not really ready to use it today, but if I had to I would...but I was just being daft, I think.

Tags
back, design, gardening, native, plant, putting