Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Grub

Default Well, at least they won't have to mow it

This year the county did a road improvement in the town I live in. There was a small triangular traffic island there with a fountain surrounded by grass. They enlarged the triangle considerably, and a new fountain was put in by the city. The island Garden Club objected to the city's plans for the fountain,, and even louder over the island being planted with artificial turf, to eliminate maintenance problems. Every time I drive by the bright green obviously fake grass I keep on thinking "Some plastic dandelions would be the perfect finishing touch". I don't dare do it, because if you offend the public works dept. they will find lots and lots of things to cite your front yard for.
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Well.... that takes the cake for the sustainable development camp. If they're not starving out our wildlife by doing virtually nothing to knock down the populations of critters like nutria, cats, feral pigs and mute swans.... they're starving out our wildlife by allowing noxious weeds in our roadside seed mixes.... and I guess when all else fails.... come up with a new way to starve em out.... plant fake grass. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I'd love to see a photo of the road "improvement" if you can snap a photo next time you're driving in the area.
--
Is there no way you could talk to somebody about how all our critters are getting "choked" out by "plantings" like this? You seem to really care and I think that would come across if you could just get to the right person. I'd skip the comment about adding fake dandelions as a finishing touch though.... it's ok to vent here where others are in lock step with you but I'm thinking it might not go over too well with someone who isn't as well versed on habitat requirements for animals. Maybe you could even offer to take on the planting of that triangle with the help of others who care? I mean.... I guess you'll never know if you don't ask and who knows.... maybe if you suggest planting it in natives that our critters would be able to recognize as a food source.... you might be planting a "seed" in the mind of the person you talk to. So maybe you can't do anything about the artificial turf utilized in this "improvement" but... maybe... just maybe.... the "seed" you plant could mean that the next "improvement" isn't "planted" in fake grass. It might be worth a try.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

But I don't think attracting animals to the island surrounded by roads is good.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Fox

good point sage! LOL

ww
Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I hate the idea of fake grass or unnatural plantings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
But I don't think attracting animals to the island surrounded by roads is good.
...but the same thought came to my mind. Even so, fake grass is ugly.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

It definitely needs a dandelion arey
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Or some cheap plastic garden animals, maybe flamingos...

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

hahaha - That is too funny. I am enjoying that mental picture very much. Plastic dandelions, pink flamingos, cheap forest animals and maybe even a gnome or 2.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Or some cheap plastic garden animals, maybe flamingos...
turttle, you beat me to it!!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Mentor

Consider adding a plastic palm tree
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mow