Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Grub

Below is a picture of the island. I'm afraid any wildlife trying to make it to the traffic island would probably end up as road kill. Pink flamingos are definitely out, and Plastic Palm Trees are just too Wildwood. At the entrance to the island on either side of the lifeboat planted with annuals are two live palm trees which are planted each Spring and taken up in the Fall and put in a warm place for the Winter. I'm afraid that if I suggested native plants to the public works department they's put in phragmites and poison ivy. No bayberries though. The summer people who come down to live in their million dollar homes for just three months of the year complain bitterly about how the bayberries in the dunes attract flocks of Tree Swallows in the late summer that crap all over their cars and in their swimming pools. I grieve for them and share their sorrow and if public works did plant bayberries at the traffic island I hope they would be plastic ones. With my plastic dandelions artfully strewn over the astroturf.
Attached Thumbnails
Well, at least they won't have to mow it-traffic-island-002.jpg  
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

You guys are all forgetting about bugs!!! Our butterflies and bees are animals too and.... upwards of 90% of our native birds feed their nestlings insects!!! Fake grass is NOT suitable habitat for our bugs. If we keep on "planting" astroturf on islands like that.... we'll be choking out even more of our wildlife.
--
Arey> What they did to that island is wrong.... very wrong. Silence isn't always golden. Don't give up!!! I'm sure there's something you could find the words to say to someone sooner or later. Maybe you just need to wait for the right opportunity and then you could kinda sorta ever so casually ask which board member was sleeping with the owner of the astroturf company that got the contract to "plant" that island in fake grass? I'll admit.... it's definitely something I'd say. I just don't care anymore.... what are they gonna do.... rat me out to my husband for being insensitive to the needs of a local business to make a quick buck? My husband would just laugh.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Grub

Explanation:The local garden club tried and got no wheres. To quote Robert Heinlein "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig". I call it my Monday Mug, because I had my morning coffee in it every Monday before leaving for work in the local Social Security Office. I still use it every Monday morning, even though I retired quite a few years ago after 36 years of interviewing.

Like Candide, I'm just cultivating my own garden. Hmmm. I
wonder if his garden gate had a "Private Property. No Trespassing" sign on it?

Lest I come across as completely anti-social I will add that I donate every year to World Wildlife Fund, Green Peace, National Wildlife Federation, National Audubon, NJ Audubon, North America Butterfly Association, and the Pinelands Preservation Alliance. I just wish that I had enough money to give them more. As for the sign on the gate, it was put up several years ago when the house next to me was rented to a family whose children had no respect for other people's property, and regarded the 6 ft. fence around my backyard as a minor inconvenience. They moved several years ago, but my older brother, the extroverted one of the two of us, objected to the sign so I'm never taking it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Well, at least they won't have to mow it-pond.jpg  

Last edited by Arey; 11-22-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Explanation:
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Well.... I guess there's no point wasting your breath but don't be letting any opportunity to "dis" the pigs to anyone who will listen. The more people you can "clue-in" to the absurdity of what they've done through your eyes.... the more people out there capable of voting the ding dongs out of office!!!
--
Pretty... very pretty pond!!! I like how you handled the edge and.... I see a few really nice natives in there!!! Way to go Arey!!! I love your concrete frog too. Can't tell what the spitter is though.... another frog?

adding something.... I don't think you're anti social!!! It's sorta obvious you've got a lot of sweat equity there and who wants neighbors' kids "fishing" in the pond or trampling the plants around it? I don't mind kids at all.... as long as they're respectful but some of them have no concept of what it means to be considerate of other people or other people's property so.... I'd have left the sign up too. BTW.... I never did see in sign in your photo.
--
Audubon is a rock solid organization. So is NABA. I've heard good things about the Pinelands Preservation Alliance too. Nice choices!!!

Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-22-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Well.... I guess there's no point wasting your breath but don't be letting any opportunity to "dis" the pigs to anyone who will listen. The more people you can "clue-in" to the absurdity of what they've done through your eyes.... the more people out there capable of voting the ding dongs out of office!!!
Now that is a good idea...get more people thinking about and discussing the foolishness of it all.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #16
Heron

Planters are expensive but you could buy to put natives in and milkweed/bayberry and some nice native flowers from lady bird Johnson's website. Think outside the box Arey;

Chances are the Astro-Turf is glued down over4 inches of cement
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mow