Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Alternate POM Judge

While we are on this subject does anyone have experience with Augustine grass? It's like crabgrass. It creeps along the ground. It is extremely difficult to kill. I keep smothering it but it seems to be able to lay dormant for years. I finally got rid of it in one garden by persistently removing it. It's a warm weather grass. It turns brown in cold weather.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Grub

I know they say to dump grass clippings on top of the cardboard, but my grass is so weed infested that I just leave the cardboard there. I removed the cardboard on only one area this Spring after putting it down late last fall, and weeds and grass did come up there and I've been weeding it. the other cardboard I put down last Fall I'm leaving there until nest spring when I'll remove it and spread white clover seed. I don't know that "clean fill" on top of cardboard would work since the fill could be infested with weed seeds. Whats under the cardboard might die in time, but at the same time what's in the fill could be thriving. Even tupsoil offered for sale can be filled with weed seeds. I once bought a load that produced a bumper crop of pigweed.
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Alternate POM Judge

What do you do to keep the cardboard in place Arey?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Grub

I use anchor pins which are also useful for holding down landscaping cloth. I bought a box of 500 or may be a 1000 from A. M. Leonard this spring.
Anchor Pin for Netting and Landscape Fabric | AM Leonard Horticultural Supply
They rust quickly, and if there's a particularly robust weed or clump of grass it can pop out the pin. I also put bricks, broken cinder blocks, bits of old atlantic city buildings, pavers, tree limbs, etc on top of the cardboard to hold it down. Yes, its unsightly, but I don't care. I haven't gotten a certificate of merit for my front yard from the local garden club for years, but when I found out that they even gave certificates to people who had tasteful and well maintained plastic flowers in their window boxes and planters , and plastic vines on their trellisses stopped caring if I never got another certificate of merit. There may be weeds and grass battling the clover for predominance on my front lawn, but they're real there's no plastic in my yard, unless, of course, I'm downwind on recycling day.

Across the street from me is what is considered to be a nice front yard.
It'll be even prettier when the tangerine colored cannas planted around the tree are in bloom. The grass in the picture is all of the grass he has. The entire rest of the yard sides and back are paved over. When its been very rainy, the neighbor to the rights dogs have fun in the mud. Water's got to drain someplace, and does his neighbor ever know it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best online instructions for smothering lawn?-weeds-005.jpg   Best online instructions for smothering lawn?-weeds.jpg   Best online instructions for smothering lawn?-not-weeds.jpg  

Last edited by Arey; 07-14-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I didn't pay attention in the high school typing class I took.
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
Alternate POM Judge

I have the same situation here Arey. It seems like I always have something covering an area I am smothering and I put whatever I have handy on top of it. Fortunately for me no one can see my property except visitors. Maryland started charging for water runoff. People that had a lot of paving had to pay more. Maybe that's what your neighbor needs, some financial incentive.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I have huge areas that I am smothering or planning to smother. I, too, can't afford to buy mulch for that expanse. Last fall, I collected bagged leaves in the brown paper lawn bags that people in a city suburb leave at curbside. I did ask permission, but I think you could just take them.

That is what I used last year to smother some areas. I've read (here on WG, I think) that areas should be smothered for a full year. I know you (disuhan) want to plant this fall, but free leaves might be a way to go if you are willing to wait.

I'm just a bit concerned about bringing clean fill onto your property.

I went to a local appliance store for huge pieces of cardboard...I actually need to get back there.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Alternate POM Judge

You mentioned the appliance boxes when you were here dap. I was wondering if you had shared that great idea on WG. The only problem with getting leaves from a source you don't know is you need to find out if they sprayed the leaves with anything.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
You mentioned the appliance boxes when you were here dap. I was wondering if you had shared that great idea on WG. The only problem with getting leaves from a source you don't know is you need to find out if they sprayed the leaves with anything.
I'm sure I mentioned it in another thread. It is not an original idea, other WildlifeGardeners have mentioned using cardboard. I'm just too lazy to use smaller pieces, so I tried to get the biggest pieces I could.

You are right about sprays. That was brought up in that thread...but. Think I was thinking more about chemlawn treatments. Most of the leaves were oaks...do people spray oaks? Seems they only spray things tat are being eaten.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #19
Mentor

You can get free cardboard from the egg boxes at super markets. Most I've asked hold them for me as long as I get them that night. Free woodchips should be available from tree trimmers or the electric company. I've gotten a couple of truck loads, much cheaper than trying to buy enough mulch. Large appliance cardboard is great if you can find it. Paper is harder to deal with because there are more interfaces and places for grass and other vegetation to push up through. You'll need several well overlapped layers or a deep layer of woodchips. I too flip the sod or at least hoe before covering with cardboard. Works great for for most plants. The plants do not have issues breathing because I cut the coardboard out for a few inches all around the plants when I plant and pull the mulch back too.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
You'll need several well overlapped layers or a deep layer of woodchips. I too flip the sod or at least hoe before covering with cardboard. Works great for for most plants. The plants do not have issues breathing because I cut the coardboard out for a few inches all around the plants when I plant and pull the mulch back too.
Great tips midwesternerr. With one layer my grass finds it's way to the surface. It is amazing how aggressive it is. I planted my veggie garden in an area I had covered with cardboard and leaves. I should have removed more leaves where I planted the veggie seeds because they stayed too moist and rotted. The seeds I planted later after I removed most of the leaves did much better.

Tags
cardboard, eliminate, garden bed, grass, how to, instructions, lawn, newspaper, online, smother, smothering, sod