Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default The Battlefront in the Front Yard

The Battlefront in the Front Yard
By STEVEN KURUTZ
Published: December 19, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/ga...oo!+Mail&_r=2&
excerpt from above:
Quote:
JASON HELVENSTON was at work on his second crop, spreading compost to fertilize the carrots, bok choy, kale and dozens of other vegetables he grows organically on his property in Orlando, Fla., when the trouble began.

Mr. Helvenston spent last Super Bowl Sunday planting the garden outside his 1940s cottage, in a neighborhood of modest houses close to downtown. Orlando’s growing season is nearly year-round, and Mr. Helvenston, a self-employed sustainability consultant for the building trade, said he saw the garden as “a budget thing” — a money-saving supplement to the chicken coop he and his wife, Jennifer, installed a few months later behind their house.

Since his backyard doesn’t get much sun, Mr. Helvenston ripped out the lawn in his front yard and put the 25-by-25-foot, micro-irrigated plot there. The unorthodox landscaping went largely unnoticed for months...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I think it looks attractive.

Quote:
One of the ideas floating around is to require homeowners who plant a front-yard garden to shield it from the street with a fence. Mr. Padin, the owner of the neighboring house, said he would be “100 percent agreeable” to that solution.
wouldn't a fence that shields the view from the street also shade the garden from the sunlight?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Alternate POM Judge

How boring grass is to look at! I would much rather see plants. I planted a wildlife garden in the front yard of my townhouse. My neighbor across the street did also. We created quite a lot of attention. Others did not like it. My Dad said I should move to the country so I did. The neighbors still don't like my landscaping. Hopefully someday that mindset will change!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

It looks cared for. People should be able to grow food on their property. For awhile these laws were only enfored if complains were filed. Now the city of Chicago has people out looking for violations.

Quote:
As for the enforced homogeneity, Mr. Ippel said, the code was written in 1991 and reflects an era when “the aesthetic was more of a formalized thing. Organic, natural planting was out of vogue.”
Out of vogue...that's probably when people started getting serious about planting something other than a lawn.
Attached Thumbnails
The Battlefront in the Front Yard-294493_2186223828057_8208547_n-1-.jpg   The Battlefront in the Front Yard-prairie-coneflower.jpg   The Battlefront in the Front Yard-joe-pye-weed.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

I would think Chicago has better ways to
Spend taxpayer money. Sometimes people
Only have sun in their front yard. Yes they
Should be able to grow healthy vegetables
in their front yard!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battlefront, front, yard