Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > The Dead Lawn Society (Healthier Choice Gardeners)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
Alternate POM Judge

I have lots of fencing on my property. I don't weed whack very often. Before I do I look at what is growing and transplant or mark anything I want to keep. I have gotten so many great plants that way. The animals plant what they like to eat. I only keep the natives. People look at all my plants and say you must have spent a fortune. Most of my landscaping was free. On one fenceline I had 5 feet on the outside of it. I let it grow and planted some trees along there too to make a hedgerow.When I first started letting it grow the neighbors were not happy. The cut it all down. So I asked them not to do that again and started over. Now I have a great hedgerow that gives me privacy and provides wildlife with food and cover.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
I have lots of fencing on my property. I don't weed whack very often. Before I do I look at what is growing and transplant or mark anything I want to keep. I have gotten so many great plants that way. The animals plant what they like to eat. I only keep the natives.
Ellenwright, I really like your system. As you stated, animals "plant" what they eat...if only invasives are around, that is what one will get. I'm so glad that you are selective and keep the natives. It is unfortunate that one can't just stop mowing and get a field of natives that will, through succession, become a native woodland--that is the way it used to be before so many invasive plants became so abundant and now interfere with that natural process.

Quote:
People look at all my plants and say you must have spent a fortune. Most of my landscaping was free.
~smile~ That is fantastic.

Although I do buy a lot of what I want to establish here, I definitely take advantage of free trees and shrubs. The money I do spend is often on bare root trees that I don't get as volunteers--so, my investment is minimal...the biggest investment is time (waiting for them to mature into the landscape). I also buy native wildflowers that are not already growing on our property. I, then, propagate them from seed--along with the relatively few natives I've found growing on the property.

I can only imagine the fortune I'd pay for the amount of plants I'm able to propagate myself! So, in the end, I'm hoping it looks as though I spent a fortune, when in reality, I've been rather frugal.

Quote:
On one fenceline I had 5 feet on the outside of it. I let it grow and planted some trees along there too to make a hedgerow.When I first started letting it grow the neighbors were not happy. The cut it all down. So I asked them not to do that again and started over. Now I have a great hedgerow that gives me privacy and provides wildlife with food and cover.
I'm so sorry that you had to deal with neighbors cutting down your first attempt. After talking with them, do you think they understand what you are trying to achieve? Do you think they can see the value in it now? If nothing else, most people value privacy.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
Alternate POM Judge

No unfortunately the neighbors seem to want to look at nothing out their windows. One neighbor seems to want to watch everything I do. He is constantly clearing my hedgerow. Every time I'm in my hedgerow they come out of the house to see what I'm doing. I put up a motion camera to get a picture of them clearing my hedgerow. So far no luck. People love lawns. They think they look neat and all they have to do is mow it. I have been working on the five foot hedgerow mentioned above and it is just filled with life. There are rabbits birds bird nests turtles. Before I planted the hedgerow there was nothing there. People move out here for the space but all they want are lawns.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #34

Quote:
No unfortunately the neighbors seem to want to look at nothing out their windows. One neighbor seems to want to watch everything I do. He is constantly clearing my hedgerow. Every time I'm in my hedgerow they come out of the house to see what I'm doing. I put up a motion camera to get a picture of them clearing my hedgerow. So far no luck. People love lawns. They think they look neat and all they have to do is mow it. I have been working on the five foot hedgerow mentioned above and it is just filled with life. There are rabbits birds bird nests turtles. Before I planted the hedgerow there was nothing there. People move out here for the space but all they want are lawns.
I am at a loss for words. Even if they want lawns (which I find sad), they have no business cutting down something on your property...especially when you put so much effort into it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #35
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I am not surprised by Ellenwright's neighbors' behavior, but I am disappointed. It is the same way around here at the Jersey shore. People want grass and ornamentals. My friend lives about 5 miles from me. She has a 'shoobie' move in next door and they complained about her native garden. They even called the city and my friend got a citation. She decided to invite the city inspector out and explained to him about her native garden. When she told him about her milkweeds, he smiled and said how much he loved monarchs. Needless to say, my friend ended up putting up a fence and a sign from National Wildlife Federation designating her garden as a wildlife habitat. For now it has shut up the weekender neighbors.

*shoobie--mostly negative term referring to tourists/summer residents at the shore. Comes from back in the 1920-30s when tourists from Philadelphia area would come to the shore on the train and bring their lunch in a shoebox.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
My friend lives about 5 miles from me. She has a 'shoobie' move in next door and they complained about her native garden. They even called the city and my friend got a citation. She decided to invite the city inspector out and explained to him about her native garden. When she told him about her milkweeds, he smiled and said how much he loved monarchs. Needless to say, my friend ended up putting up a fence and a sign from National Wildlife Federation designating her garden as a wildlife habitat. For now it has shut up the weekender neighbors.
Good for her...I'm so glad things worked out with the inspector...too bad that she had to invest in a fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
*shoobie--mostly negative term referring to tourists/summer residents at the shore. Comes from back in the 1920-30s when tourists from Philadelphia area would come to the shore on the train and bring their lunch in a shoebox.
Had I read through your entire post before searching for "shoobie", I'd have had a definition--and the history and derivation, but I will share what I found anyway.

From Urban Dictionary: shoobie :
Quote:
shoobie

someone who thinks they own the beach when they go just for a weekend or a summer most of them deserve death...even tho they are the reason our economy survives.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
Alternate POM Judge

I like the title of this thread. I cannot believe all the new plants I have discovered on my property this summer. So many that need to be identified. It's wonderful. I asked a state of Maryland biologist I am in contact with if anyone does site visits to help identify plants in a wildlife habitat. Hey I pay state property tax and in Maryland it is high. Well basically the answer is no. So I will plug away one plant at a time. I need to check out the journal section of this forum. That would help me keep track of everything. I'm so glad I found this forum!

Tags
bare, bare root, bareroot, free, leaf, leaf mulch, mother, native plants, nature, pine needles, plantings, reforestation, restoration, restore, root, seed, seedling, volunteer plants, volunteers