Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events > Daily Dose of Outrage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Feeding the Deer

Feeding the Deer:
Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Garden Angel

The deer obviously just have a "just don't call me late for..." attitude towards this. These dudes must be stunning conversationalists.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

IMHO, those deer should be on the dinner table rather than at it. Venison is better for you than beef...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Heron

I know they think they're doing something good, but people doing that should be fined and required to attend classes to teach them why feeding wildlife is a really bad idea both for wildlife and humans.

People feed the deer here in the local county forest preserves on a regular basis. As a result, there are large barren areas in the woods where the deer and other animals gather to get fed. The deer have eaten everything except the trees in those areas, and the ground is bare dirt, plants can't survive that kind of intense concentration of herbivores gathering densely in one spot.

John
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Fox

If these are wild deer, are these folks just training them to walk right up to hunters during open season. "Hey fellas, got any tasty treats?" BANG!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I've seen this before. The guy caught a lot of crap for luring them to congregate unnaturally which isn't good for the deer "swapping spit" with each other and for creating a bunch of begging deer looking for free hand outs from people who didn't have anything to give them. jpdenk> the fine for feeding deer is 1k in Illinois to stop people from creating nuisances but more so to stop the unnatural "swapping of spit" between the deer.... cwd.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

This reminds me of my own experience feeding wildlife. I had always fed the birds thinking that I was doing them a favor. A couple years ago I participated in a bird feeding study called Project Wild Bird. I was in the study for 2 years. They gave all participants feeders and seed along with detailed instructions on observation and data entry......after this 2 year period I quit feeding the following spring. The very first thing that happened after I stopped was the sparrows, starlings and grackles left and the song birds moved in. About half way through the study I noticed diseased house finches, lots of them. Although I was dutifully cleaning the feeders it seemed to do no good. I learned my lesson. Feeding the birds or any other wild life only spreads disease and disrupts the natural order of things. I told the head of this study my observations and he said that he might do a study on not feeding the birds!
rainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Did you ever follow up with him to see if he did that study on not feeding the birds?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

No I haven't. The last time I heard anything about a new study they hadn't decided what it was going to be. There was also talk of studying birds that eat only bug or berries..... maybe a bird bath study. I don't think I will participate in any more feeding studies.
rainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
A Bee's Best Friend

I understand rainin, without feeders for the birds there is a greater diversity of birds in our garden. Insect eaters,seed eaters and berry eaters are very common as we grow food instead of just putting it out. The birds must forage on their own. I am very happy with the decision to stop filling feeders.

As for feeding deer or any other wild animal from what I have observed it does more harm than good. Providing habitat seems to allow more healthy sustainable wildlife numbers.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birdfeeders, buffalo, buffalot meat, deer, elk meat, feeding, feeding birds, feeding wildlife, ground beef, venison, wild game