Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events > Daily Dose of Outrage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #21
Heron

Nah, no Bambi issues...more of a "weird meat" issue.

If it isn't pork, beef or chicken...it's weird! LOL!

I've tried moose and bear...bear...ugh.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #22
The Bug Whisperer

The flavor of venison is dependent both on the animal itself and the preparation. If what you had came from an improperly dressed old buck that then was prepared like a piece of beef, it likely would not have been a pleasant dining experience. On the other hand, meat from a younger animal in the hands of a good game cook (my brother, for example), can be almost heaven. BTW, snowshoe hare, buffalo (bison) and snapping turtle meat also can be quite good, and my wife claims that elk (which I have not been privileged to try) is the best wild game she has ever tasted.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #23
WG Operations, Facilitator

My DH went on a licensed Elk hunt last fall. He filled our freezer.

You're right suunto, Elk is very good! A little less fat than beef with a much better flavor.

There is a buffalo farm in my area, so some of the local bar & grills serve buffalo burgers. Extremely good! I would buy buffalo meat in place of beef, but the buffalo meat is much more expensive.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
There is a buffalo farm in my area, so some of the local bar & grills serve buffalo burgers. Extremely good! I would buy buffalo meat in place of beef, but the buffalo meat is much more expensive.
'Buffalo burger' is available for $5/lb at a local food store; not much higher than the best low-fat ground beef. We now buy beef from a local farm that raises grass-fed Angus (Sarver Heritage Farm). Excellent flavor.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #25
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

deer

Feeding deer:

My husband was about to plow his way into a field we own so he could drop off a couple round bails of hay for the deer to feast upon.
I told him he best NOT!

Once you've lured them in he'd have to continue feeding them as they start to depend upon it. With a 9" snowfall's about to hit, There's no way he would be able to plow his way in to continue the feed fest. I'm sure quite a few would more than likely starve to death trying to make it back to their NATURAL Wintering over spots that DO sustain the herd.

Hmmmm guess he didn't think of that when trying to ahem.... help em!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #26
Fox

deer

It seems to be logical to think that feeding deer in the winter would help them, but most often it does more harm than good. By the time winter sets in the deer's gut has already switched the microbes in the gut to the kind that process woody type material. They are living mostly off of woody twigs.

The processing of green leafy material and the other foods of summer use a different set of gut microbes. These are the kind that would efficiently process corn and hay, but they are in very low numbers in winter. A deer fed corn in winter can literally starve to death with a full stomach. I just read recently about an elk that died in Northwest Wisconsin because it was fed corn this winter.

In an emergency situation a person could cut down trees and shrubs so that the deer would have access to food (twigs) that they couldn't otherwise reach, but that would only be a short term solution. And it would alter their habitat for a long time into the future.

I think you saved your husband from a lot of hard work, and saved some deer from a bad stomach experience.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #27
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Interesting info. I didn't know their gut bacteria changed like that.

I recall my father cutting and laying cedar branches in the Winter to help them through. It's chuck full of Vitamin C.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #28
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
It seems to be logical to think that feeding deer in the winter would help them, but most often it does more harm than good. By the time winter sets in the deer's gut has already switched the microbes in the gut to the kind that process woody type material. They are living mostly off of woody twigs.

The processing of green leafy material and the other foods of summer use a different set of gut microbes. These are the kind that would efficiently process corn and hay, but they are in very low numbers in winter. A deer fed corn in winter can literally starve to death with a full stomach. I just read recently about an elk that died in Northwest Wisconsin because it was fed corn this winter.

In an emergency situation a person could cut down trees and shrubs so that the deer would have access to food (twigs) that they couldn't otherwise reach, but that would only be a short term solution. And it would alter their habitat for a long time into the future.

I think you saved your husband from a lot of hard work, and saved some deer from a bad stomach experience.
Thanks for this information, NEWisc!! I've long thought that feeding deer is a bad idea, and this just reinforces that thinking. People do it near me (at an undeveloped lot near a park) and it drives me nuts. The park and surrounding area already has more deer than it can sustain. And now with CWD being an issue, it seems like an even worse thing to do. The only "predator" we have around here is the automobile, another good reason not to encourage a large population of deer.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #29
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Thanks for this information, NEWisc!! I've long thought that feeding deer is a bad idea, and this just reinforces that thinking. People do it near me (at an undeveloped lot near a park) and it drives me nuts. The park and surrounding area already has more deer than it can sustain. And now with CWD being an issue, it seems like an even worse thing to do. The only "predator" we have around here is the automobile, another good reason not to encourage a large population of deer.
You need a wolf pack in your neighborhood!!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #30
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
You need a wolf pack in your neighborhood!!!!
Or a couple of "big kitties"

Tags
birdfeeders, buffalo, buffalot meat, deer, elk meat, feeding, feeding birds, feeding wildlife, ground beef, venison, wild game