Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Salamander

Fantastic! DH and I went to the little town of Lakehills yesterday. We noticed the little grocery store had closed (gone out of business) and drove over to see if there was a sign explaing anything. It was then I saw it...the butterfly. A Pipevine Swallowtail fluttering over some vegetation right at the front of the building. I jumped out of my truck and ran over! Could it be? Yes, it was! It was! A beautiful flowering patch of Aristolochia erecta (Swan Flower) was growing right there! Got down and looked at it for maybe five minutes...there, on the ground were seeds! I ran back to the truck for a bag, scooped up seeds, then noticed the two little caterpillars. Yes. I DID take them home! Got some odd looks, with all this going on. I think I probably passed the 'dork" stage and looked like a total freakshow by the time I left! Oh, well...the caterpillars were safe, dry and well-fed during one of the stormiest nights we've had in a long time...and I long ago stopped worrying very much about what 'normal' people think! I am what I am and I'm proud of it!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Could it be? Yes, it was! It was! A beautiful flowering patch of Aristolochia erecta (Swan Flower) was growing right there! Got down and looked at it for maybe five minutes...there, on the ground were seeds!
Not being from Texas, I'm unfamilar with the flower...but I can definitely feel your excitement and can relate. I am so happy that you found some SEEDS!

Hopefully, you'll get it to grow and will attact your very own caterpillars.

What are you feeding the ones you took home?

Good for you for being proud of being unique...too bad more people aren't...and too bad caring about nature, native plants, and native wildlife are not more commonplace.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Salamander

They are eating some Aristolochia fimbriata now. Not native, but they like it! I might go back later on and get a photo of those blooms.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
They are eating some Aristolochia fimbriata now. Not native, but they like it! I might go back later on and get a photo of those blooms.
Glad they have a food source--I figured you must have something for them.

I just did an image search and I must say that the A. erecta is a very interesting looking plant...with some cool-looking seeds.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Salamander

It looks like a grassy weed. Or is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Mourning Cloak!-swan-flower-3d.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Salamander

Aristolochia erecta in bloom.
Attached Thumbnails
Mourning Cloak!-swan-flower-3a.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Is it A carnivorous plant?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
Salamander

Not that I know of. But it does resemble something that should be, doesn't it?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
Today, in a very small strip of woods behind my house, in a very densely populated area, I saw my first ever (that I know of) mourning cloak butterfly (actually two of them)!

I was amazed that such a beautiful thing could be where I found it, among the sprawl, and I looked and felt like a kid in a candy store once I realized what it was.

I just wanted to share, because I know there are people here who understand that feeling, and don't think I'm a total dork for caring about a butterfly
Disuhan--Woohoo! Excellent for you! I saw my first two on March 17 and also in a rather populated area. I think it is WONDERFUL to read that there are other dorks like me who care about butterflies.

Mr.LoveAnts--Hmmmm...I find mating butterflies tend to be good subjects to photograph as they are very distracted. *big grin* You were so lucky to catch them in this situation!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterflies, butterfly, cloak, mourning, mourning cloak butterfly