Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Butterflies & Moths (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/)
-   -   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/9520-butterfly-moth-photos-2012-a.html)

Cirsium 01-07-2012 01:15 AM

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012

~A new year, a new butterfly & moth photos thread~

bridget1964 01-11-2012 09:44 PM

Mourning Cloak

2 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine lives in Cape May County and sent me an email this week. She had photos of two mourning cloak butterflies that she found overwintering in her shed!

I have never seen them do this, so I was blown away! Any of you ever witness this phenomena?

dapjwy 01-11-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bridget1964 (Post 103971)
A friend of mine lives in Cape May County and sent me an email this week. She had photos of two mourning cloak butterflies that she found overwintering in her shed!

I have never seen them do this, so I was blown away! Any of you ever witness this phenomena?

Great to see you posting again, bridget. :) Great photos--the first of the new year.

This is new to me, but I know very little about the habits of most species of butterflies--mostly I know a few things about monarchs...and I'm sure you could share multiple things about them that would still be new to me.

Gloria 01-12-2012 01:09 AM

Have known the mourning cloak to over winter in wood piles so an unheated shed would be about the same, out of the wind and sun to moderate temperature . Just a couple of weeks ago I posted that I had disturbed a mourning cloak in our garden. It has been so unusually warm so what do the adults do? Delay going into hibernation or drift in and out of hibernation? I wonder if the antifreeze solution wears off at warmer temperatures and how quickly the mourning cloak can react to weather changes. What seems even more odd is that it spends time in a similar state during the warmer summer moths. So many questions...lol

ButterflyLinda 03-23-2012 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillars that I found. They are growing so FAST! They were little things about a quarter inch at most when I found them.

havalotta 03-23-2012 10:28 PM

Ooooo Those are neat looking. They remind me of the dobsonfly larvae in a quirky way.

dapjwy 03-24-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 107168)
Here's the Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillars that I found. They are growing so FAST! They were little things about a quarter inch at most when I found them.

Cute little buggers. :)

ButterflyLinda 04-07-2012 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Monarch caterpillars are getting large enough to really do more serious eating.

linrose 04-07-2012 03:15 PM

I saw my first monarch today! The swamp milkweed is just emerging, hope it fills out quickly.

ButterflyLinda 04-07-2012 07:36 PM

I hope so too! I have enough milkweed for the cats I have. I'm raising some on Antelope Horns and some on Mexican Milkweed.