Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #291
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
I'm kinda lazy when it comes to identifying these lovely butterflies, and inspecific as it may be, I just refer to 'em all as Questionmarks and let someone else sort 'em out.
LOL!

Maybe I should start doing that...but, I bet I'll get corrected all of the time by those butterfly experts--except that one I stumble upon that really will be a question mark.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #292
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
LOL!

Maybe I should start doing that...but, I bet I'll get corrected all of the time by those butterfly experts--except that one I stumble upon that really will be a question mark.
Yeah, I know what you mean. We just got to deal with all of these experts! Specificity, you know!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #293
Salamander

That Julia is so pretty! Haven't seen any in a long time! But we did finally get some Common Mestra back this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-common-mestra-3.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
... we did finally get some Common Mestra back this fall.
Another one I'm unfamiliar with...but what a beauty! I love the photo and how the colors of the butterfly are mimicked in the colors in the background. The simple beauty of her(?) markings really struck me.

Maybe you could add it to the photo of the month contest...whether you chose to crop it or not, I think it is a contender.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #295
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
That Julia is so pretty! Haven't seen any in a long time! But we did finally get some Common Mestra back this fall.
Gorgeous butterfly! Never saw a common mestra before. I will have to look it up.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
I finally got a bunch of butterflies here, too! Long-tailed skippers, Fiery skippers and lots of brown ones I don't know. And Gulf Coast Fritillaries like ya'll have, and many, many Queens. Also: Some Monarchs, Painted Ladies, Buckeyes, a Dog-faced Sulphur, Red Admiral, Giant and Tiger swallowtails, Pipevine Swallowtail...they just love my Eupatoriums! But the prize was three Julia Longwings---I haven't seen any of these for several years.
Beautiful photos of some gorgeous critters! I am going through butterfly withdrawal here in NJ. Sigh.

Are those flowers blue mist flowers?

Would love to see a queen and a julia, but alas, I only get to see them in butterfly houses.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Gorgeous butterfly! Never saw a common mestra before. I will have to look it up.
Welcome back, bridget. Good to see you posting again.

Hope things are getting back to normal where you are...and that you are enjoying the holiday.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #298
Salamander

Morpho Butterfly 2

Quote:
Beautiful photos of some gorgeous critters! I am going through butterfly withdrawal here in NJ. Sigh.

Are those flowers blue mist flowers?

Would love to see a queen and a julia, but alas, I only get to see them in butterfly houses.

Yep, those are blue mist flowers. I have never seen the butterflies love anything around here like they love those mist flowers. The weather is still warm, so the flowers are still going and the butterflies are still showing!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Welcome back, bridget. Good to see you posting again.

Hope things are getting back to normal where you are...and that you are enjoying the holiday.
Things are slowly getting better around here, thanks. Many of my neighbors still aren't home, so it still feels odd.

My street had a visit from THE CLAW this past Sunday. There are these huge garbage trucks going around to clean up the debris. They have to brace the truck down to the road and then this HUGE CLAW comes and picks u all the debris. It is quite overwhelming and loud. My small city of Ventnor has already removed over 2,000 TONS of storm debris and they aren't done yet.

Here's hoping you had a nice holiday, too!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #300

Quote:
Things are slowly getting better around here, thanks. Many of my neighbors still aren't home, so it still feels odd.

My street had a visit from THE CLAW this past Sunday. There are these huge garbage trucks going around to clean up the debris. They have to brace the truck down to the road and then this HUGE CLAW comes and picks u all the debris. It is quite overwhelming and loud. My small city of Ventnor has already removed over 2,000 TONS of storm debris and they aren't done yet.

Here's hoping you had a nice holiday, too!
Including your description of "THE CLAW" and what is does...how much it cleaned up and how much still left undone really helps me better understand what folks are still going through. I think it is important to hear personal stories like that. THanks.

We did enjoy the holiday...and we are enjoying the long weekend break as well. How did your school make out?

Tags
2012, butterflies, butterfly, butterfly photos, caterpillar, frittilaries, halysidota tessellaris, monarch, moth, moth caterpillar, moths, photos, pictures, pipevine swallowtail, red admiral, skippers, swallowtail, tussock