Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #281
Official Plant Nerd

"I DID capture a shot of that yellow butterfly after all!" Sure glad somebody got that little bugger!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #282
Salamander

Morpho Butterfly 2 Lot's O' Butterflies!

I finally got a bunch of butterflies here, too! Long-tailed skippers, Fiery skippers and lots of brown ones I don't know. And Gulf Coast Fritillaries like ya'll have, and many, many Queens. Also: Some Monarchs, Painted Ladies, Buckeyes, a Dog-faced Sulphur, Red Admiral, Giant and Tiger swallowtails, Pipevine Swallowtail...they just love my Eupatoriums! But the prize was three Julia Longwings---I haven't seen any of these for several years.
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-lots-o-flutterbies.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-longtailed-skipper.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-buckeye-p.-lady.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-julia-longwing.jpg  
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #283
Fox

Thumbs up

Dandy snapshots scarecrowsdrm, as are everyones! A fun thread to follow.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #284
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"I DID capture a shot of that yellow butterfly after all!" Sure glad somebody got that little bugger!!!
Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Hallelujah, Christmas 2010 - YouTube
It wasn't all "that" great but Thank you thank you bud!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #285
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
I finally got a bunch of butterflies here, too! Long-tailed skippers, Fiery skippers and lots of brown ones I don't know. And Gulf Coast Fritillaries like ya'll have, and many, many Queens. Also: Some Monarchs, Painted Ladies, Buckeyes, a Dog-faced Sulphur, Red Admiral, Giant and Tiger swallowtails, Pipevine Swallowtail...they just love my Eupatoriums! But the prize was three Julia Longwings---I haven't seen any of these for several years.
Lucky you! Look at 'em all!

I was so relieved when I opened the pictures and realized that they weren't flocking to a butterfly bush! Great draw with the Eupatorium. Go natives!

I've never even heard of a Julia Longwings--let alone seen one. Thank you for sharing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #286
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I almost jumped out of my chair yesterday when I saw a Gulf Fritillary. I haven't seen any butterflies for a while now. It made my day. That Julia is beautiful, it's related to the Gulf Fritillary but it doen't live here. I think they are spectacular butterflies.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I almost jumped out of my chair yesterday when I saw a Gulf Fritillary. I haven't seen any butterflies for a while now. It made my day. That Julia is beautiful, it's related to the Gulf Fritillary but it doen't live here. I think they are spectacular butterflies.
As you know, I'm quite a bit north of you...and I was very surprised to see a butterfly land on the cuff of my jeans yesterday. It flew over to the side of the house where I got its picture. I'm not good with butterfly IDs, but I'm thinking comma or question mark. ...?

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc09116.jpg

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc09119.jpg

~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dsc09117.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #288
Salamander

butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Lucky you! Look at 'em all!

I was so relieved when I opened the pictures and realized that they weren't flocking to a butterfly bush! Great draw with the Eupatorium. Go natives!

I've never even heard of a Julia Longwings--let alone seen one. Thank you for sharing.
Sure thing...I still had bunches this weekend in spite of some pretty cold nights. The Julias tend to be more tropical than the Gulf Fritillary, as far as I know.

Last edited by scarecrowsdrm; 11-19-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Small correction
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Sure thing...I still had bunches this weekend in spite of some pretty cold nights. The Julias are related to the Gulf Fritillary, but tend to be more tropical, as far as I know.

They actually look kind of tropical now that you mention it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #290
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
As you know, I'm quite a bit north of you...and I was very surprised to see a butterfly land on the cuff of my jeans yesterday. It flew over to the side of the house where I got its picture. I'm not good with butterfly IDs, but I'm thinking comma or question mark. ...?
I'm kinda lazy when it comes to identifying these lovely butterflies, and inspecific as it may be, I just refer to 'em all as Questionmarks and let someone else sort 'em out.

Tags
2012, butterflies, butterfly, butterfly photos, caterpillar, frittilaries, halysidota tessellaris, monarch, moth, moth caterpillar, moths, photos, pictures, pipevine swallowtail, red admiral, skippers, swallowtail, tussock