Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #101
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Hummingbird moths are amazing to watch! I had one show up today and feed on dianthus I had growing in a pot. They flit around so quickly; getting a good a photo of one is difficult. Later in the summer, the hummingbird moths flock to my monarda didyma.
Attachment 29982 Attachment 29983
I planted the monarda seeds I had received from you and they are now a whole whopping inch tall!
I can't wait to see if they'll draw in the clearwings. Hmmmm Well maybe.........next year anyway. I'm glad I had started some in pots indoors as a back up as the ones I had planted outdoors didn't survive between the second round of cruddy chickie poo poo weeds I hadn't gotten around to pulling out again until today..

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #102
WG Fundraising Coordinator

hava, if you plant monarda you will definitely get clearwings, and hummingbirds, and bumbles by the bushel load! It's really a great plant. Plant M. didyma, fistulosa and whatever else you can find. It can run of course but so easy to pull and I welcome it to fill in where I need fillers.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #103

This beautiful American Lady found the purple coneflower today (along with a bumble friend) - I love the spider-web like pattern on the underwing and the peacock tail spots.
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-american-lady.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-al-underwing.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #104

Find the swallowtail egg(s) on the dill and win a prize!!!
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dill-swallowtail-eggs.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-dill.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #105
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Find the swallowtail egg(s) on the dill and win a prize!!!
The most obvious one is on a frond in the upper left center; there seems to be another at a juncture of a frond and stem off to the right of that one...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #106
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Not Really Moths or Butterflies yet but someday.

Abbott's Sphinx, Sphecodina abbottii, on Concord Grape Vine. The brown skin and bright green spots that mimic a snake come later.

Eight Spotted Forester, Alypia octomaculata, also on Concord Grape Vine. They abandon the host plant when disturbed so be careful trying to spot them. Usually they have a silk safety line but I've found a few that didn't.

And an unknown eating my Asparagus.
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-sphinxcatgrapes.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-abbottssphinx.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-eightspottedforester.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-eightspottedforester2.jpg   ~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-smallpurplishgraycf.jpg  

MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #107
The Bug Whisperer

Ehe 'unknown" likely is in the family Noctuidae (owlet moths), a huge family whose caterpillars vary widely in appearance.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
The most obvious one is on a frond in the upper left center; there seems to be another at a juncture of a frond and stem off to the right of that one...
I found two also, I planted dill, parsley and fennel just for the swallowtails and I guess it worked!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #109
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a very rare Flutterby unknownacus on 1 of my viburnums. Sorry about the photo being so crappy. Its entire wingspan couldn't have been more than an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
~Butterfly & Moth Photos~ 2012-img_9286.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #110
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Here's a very rare Flutterby unknownacus on 1 of my viburnums. Sorry about the photo being so crappy. Its entire wingspan couldn't have been more than an inch.
About all that I can tell you is that it is in the family Geometridae and that there are several species having this general color pattern.

Henry Ward Beecher

Tags
2012, butterflies, butterfly, butterfly photos, caterpillar, frittilaries, halysidota tessellaris, monarch, moth, moth caterpillar, moths, photos, pictures, pipevine swallowtail, red admiral, skippers, swallowtail, tussock