Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Fox

leaf02 Trees and Shrubs are Host Plants for Many Butterflies

Something that is rarely mentioned in butterfly gardening articles is that many species of butterflies use trees and shrubs for host plants. Among the butterflies that use trees and shrubs are:

Canadian Tiger Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Giant Swallowtail
acadian Hairstreak
Coral Hairstreak

Edwards' Hairstreak
Hickory Hairstreak
Banded Hairstreak
Early Hairstreak
Eastern Pine Elfin

Spring Azure
Question Mark
Gray Comma
Green Comma
Compton Tortoiseshell

Mourning Cloak
Red-spotted Purple
White Admiral
Viceroy
Hackberry Emperor

Silver-spotted Skipper
Dreamy Duskywing
Sleepy Duskywing
Juvenal's Duskywing

Those are just some of the northern ones that I am familiar with. So when you are planning that complete butterfly garden, don't forget to consider some of the native tree and shrub host plants. Or, if you are just looking for some native trees and shrubs for your yard, consider selecting some of those that will also benefit your local butterflies.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.

Last edited by Cirsium; 06-10-2010 at 11:54 AM.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

What is frustrating about this (to me) is some unpopular trees are larval or nectar hosts for some spectacular butterflies and moths. I guess what I'm trying to say is generally people don't want to plant or abide an Acer negundo (boxelder) or a hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) in their yard, for example.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Fox

Good point. There are a few native plants that are aggressive colonizers; especially in a disturbed area. Nature deals with this through succession, but I don't think the average gardener wants to wait that long.

It's one of the reasons why it's so important to have protected natural areas, where nature keeps things in balance and can provide for the needs of the native fauna that need these kind of plants.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Grub

Wink Carnivorous butterflies, specked alder, and unkempt gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Something that is rarely mentioned in butterfly gardening articles is that many species of butterflies use trees and shrubs for host plants. Among the butterflies that use trees and shrubs are:

Canadian Tiger Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Giant Swallowtail
acadian Hairstreak
Coral Hairstreak

Edwards' Hairstreak
Hickory Hairstreak
Banded Hairstreak
Early Hairstreak
Eastern Pine Elfin

Spring Azure
Question Mark
Gray Comma
Green Comma
Compton Tortoiseshell

Mourning Cloak
Red-spotted Purple
White Admiral
Viceroy
Hackberry Emperor

Silver-spotted Skipper
Dreamy Duskywing
Sleepy Duskywing
Juvenal's Duskywing

Those are just some of the northern ones that I am familiar with. So when you are planning that complete butterfly garden, don't forget to consider some of the native tree and shrub host plants. Or, if you are just looking for some native trees and shrubs for your yard, consider selecting some of those that will also benefit your local butterflies.
Thanks for mentioning the shrubs & trees. You're right; I think "butterfly=flower." The book I'm reading now mentions speckled alder (Alnus rugosa) as being good for several butterflies. Also, the book mentioned a carnivorous butterfly (who knew?) likes a certain aphid that likes speckled alder.

This year is the one we ditch neatness in favor of wildlife.
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Interesting idea - I'm going to check out the trees and shrubs that I already have, and then make a list of what I "need".
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

You will soon find once you start this project that you need them all! See my signature line
Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout lily View Post
Also, the book mentioned a carnivorous butterfly (who knew?). . .
Really?! What kind of butterfly?
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
A Bee's Best Friend

Early flowering trees and shrubs make up most of the nectar and pollen for early rising bees as well. I have been looking for native trees and shrubs that bloom early so that a continuous supply of food is available for the early bumbles that I have seen.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoloniferous View Post
Really?! What kind of butterfly?
It's the caterpillars of the Harvester butterfly (Feniseca tarquinius) that are carnivorous. They feed on woolly aphids; and sometimes scale insects or tree hoppers. This is the only carnivorous butterfly in North America. The adults feed on aphid honeydew.

Species Detail | Butterflies and Moths of North America
Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Early flowering trees and shrubs make up most of the nectar and pollen for early rising bees as well. I have been looking for native trees and shrubs that bloom early so that a continuous supply of food is available for the early bumbles that I have seen.
A really good tree for me is the red maple - lots of flowers and lots of bee activity. An early shrub is the willows. The next big producer is the standard fruit trees (not native, but not invasive either); apples and plums including the native wild plum. Serviceberries or juneberries (Amelanchier species) and all the wild cherries are also good producers of nectar and pollen.

Tags
butterflies, butterfly garden, host, host plant, native plants, nectar, plants, pollen, shrubs, trees