Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #81
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirsium View Post
Lonediver - It's always interesting to see someone take on this kind of project! Could you give us an update on the experience so far? Is Wild Ones providing you with the kind of support that you need? Have thely got a good chapter startup program? You've got to let us share this experience with you, even if it's just vicariously.
Well on wensday as I said , I called thier national headquarters . Ther number is easy to get , right here one this page ;

http://www.for-wild.org/contacts.html

I talked to a lady named "Donna " who said she would send info . I also followed that up with a letter wensday evening to them at a contact on this page ;

http://www.for-wild.org/email.cgi

The same page where they list thier chapters ;

http://www.for-wild.org/chapters.html

You will also see the line about chapter start up kit that takes you to here which is what I inquired about ;

http://www.for-wild.org/web/chap_guide.html

and here ;

http://www.for-wild.org/web/chap_intro.html

Here is some of the benefits they say that they can extend to chapters ;

http://www.for-wild.org/download/gui...orChapters.pdf

I do not expect anythind to materialize very rapidly . Any/most organizations move slower than we would like . It's only been a few days . I will give it 7 to 10 days and do another follow up then .

On wensday I also called the Arizona Native Plant Society -Phoenix chapter president whom I had spoken to numerous times before And expressed a few of my concerns/frustrations about thier organization . Now the AZNPS themselves has done something of a transformation in thier history . Once they had numerous plant growers etc . , who served as board members . This resulted in plants often being recommended for planting that were xeric and easy to grow here but not native . Now no growers are on the board but now it would seem that the Phd (piled , higher and deeper ) crowd has taken over with more of a scholarly bent is running the organization . Meetings with evolutinism/Darwinism as the subject of discussion .

I suggested to the chapter president that a more grass roots aproach was needed and where he kind of agreed , he also said that when such was brought up , the state board usually shot it down . There was a program that was done by the Tucson chapter that was done last year called "Wild in the city" . It was regarded as successful but was not followed through with for this year . When I talked with the Phoenix chapter president I asked if I joined and attempted to influence change , would it be welcomed or would I be beating my head against a wall ?

He felt that I would be beating my head soooooooooo , .... I called the Wild ones and lets see where that leads .

Also on wensday I called my local county cooperative extension agent whose program is overseen by the University of Arizona Ag. dept. . I have/had spoken with him once before . Some of thier people had sought to create a AZNPS chapter here in Casa Grande close to where I live but had been frustrated in thier efforts . So I spoke with the head director of the program , one Rick Gibson and we spoke for some time about my interpertation of wildlife gardening . He expressed some interest himself and said he had some volunteer MG's who might have a sympathetic ear . He asked that I follow up with an email describing what I do and I have done that at least partially . I closed my letter inviting any questions and inviting any who would be interested to my place . They as any other goverment agency now are going through cutbacks , he said he had , had to let 2 full time staffers go . So making a dent there would/will take awhile .

NEXT . I see where Audubon has started Audubon at home ;

http://www.audubon.org/bird/at_home/

The National organization has started trying to get the local chapters involved in this . Part of the program encourages native plants/wildlife gardening . I had a few weeks ago sent for some of thier info on this , see what i can do to follow up more .

The NWF has something similar .

Thats what I have been up to , how about you all ?
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #82
WG Writer

busy. busy. Lonediver! Good Luck!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #83
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonediver View Post
Thats what I have been up to , how about you all ?
We've been sitting around, waiting for inspiration from you. As usual, you didn't disappoint!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #84
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
We've been sitting around, waiting for inspiration from you. As usual, you didn't disappoint!
Awwh, you all know me . Shy, bashful, reticent, wall-flower, retiring, quiet, non-opinonated kind of guy .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #85
WG Facilitator

And your modesty is only surpassed by your supreme good looks?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #86
Fox

Quote:
Thats what I have been up to , how about you all?
I'm already a member of a Wild Ones chapter, so not much new in that area. And the native plant society HQ's for WI is 200 miles away. It's the Botanical Club of WI, and they don't seem to be into promoting local chapters.

But we have had a lot of success in other areas. One of the best has been working with the local UW Extension agent and the local Master Gardener program. The extension agent is a plant/soil guy, and was born and raised on a small farm so he was very receptive to the idea of stimulating interest in native plants. Each spring they hold a spring garden conference (about 200 attendees) and last year we were able to get Lynn M. Steiner, author of "Landscaping with Native Plants of Wisconsin", as the keynote speaker. She also did a breakout session on woodland gardening with native plants. I and my better half also did a breakout session on butterfly gardening with native plants.

This year's conference will feature Douglas W. Tallamy, author of "Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens" as the keynote speaker. He'll also be doing a breakout session on Maintaining Curb Appeal (with native plants).

The local MG organization, as well as the extension office, puts in a lot of work to make these conferences a success. This is not a densely populated area. If you added up the 3 largest cities in the area it would only be about 25,000. They are also willing to take some financial risk by bearing the cost of these kind of speakers, while still keeping the cost to attendees as low as possible ($30 for the whole day, including a great lunch).

The extension agent also uses our yard for the native plant training session of his master gardener program. It was kind of funny last year because he kept interrupting the class with all of the interesting insects he was finding on our tour of the native plants. His enthusiasm for showing the class the insects was using up some of the time we had set aside for talking about the plants.

As you've noted many times, we just have to take some risks and get out there and do it!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #87
Salamander

I'm a member. I love these people. So helpful and not at all radical. I love our chapter president. She puts so much time into making our meetings worthwhile.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #88
Carbon

Hey BooBooBearBecky!,
I think that you'll really enjoy checking out the website/catalog for "Prairie Moon" Nursery. (just do a Google search for them)
They are a Native Prairie seed and plant nursery that is located in Winona MN, (I think), Near enough to northern Wisconsin. Their plant species lists are quite extensive and You may find many species that would be Locally Native to your area. They may be able to assist you in locating other more local sources for other species as well- (trees/shrubs/etc).
In order to actually determine which individual specie may be Native to your location,(by county name), you would have to find a resource that provides a "Distribution Map" for each species.
Here in Illinois, I know of three references that I'v found which helps me greatly.
they are,
The Illinois DNR's website- they have a list of the currently listed "Threatened and Endangered Species- and one of the formats list the T&E Species for each County, by alphabetical name)
[Sadly, The list is very extensive!]
Next: there is a book on "Plant Distributions of the Flora of Illinois"- which actually shows for each species- a map if the entire state- with the superimposed county-line borders, and it marks where each species would've been found in pre-settlement days. This is based on botanical collections from arboretum collections and old written records- which have been substantiated, somehow.
You may want to contact your State University, and their Departments of Natural History Survey. or others.
And I have a book by another authors- (Swink and Wilhelm) which is of the "plants of the Chicago region"- which also shows similar distribution maps, and describes and lists a brief plant summary of the typical habitat preference (Natioinal Wetland Index), {from Obligate wetlands, to Messic, to Uplands), and gives a number (from 0 thru 10), called the "Flouristic Quality Index"- which is easier to think of as the "inverse of weedyness"- [0=very weedy- reproduces readily, to 10=slow/difficult to propagate]
I have been involved lately with the "Wild Ones" (check out their website, at
http://www.for-wild.org
You might be able to get a lot of help from other "Wild Ones" member in your area.

I hope this helps you!
guloguloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #89
WG Writer

I read the Prairie Moon catalog even though I don't live in the prairie.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #90
Official Plant Nerd

"Awwh, you all know me . Shy, bashful, reticent, wall-flower, retiring, quiet, non-opinonated kind of guy ." How did I miss those comments? Did you check your britches lately, eh? I think they're full of something that needs to be removed fast so we can have the real lonediver back.
Swink and Wilhelm's book is my Torah and Talmud. Good taste in reading materials guloguloguy.

Tags
butterfly, butterfly garden, invasives, mad, makes, native, seed mix, tallamy, wild ones