Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #91
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Seedguy-
Thanks for the tips!

Does your plant nursery have a website that I could check out?

BooBooBearBecky
Hi Becky,
Thanks for the request. Our website is www.prairiemoon.com Sorry for such a late reply. I was away for the last 10 days. I have intentions of listing our nursery on this site. Maybe I will be able to get it accomplished today. Very interesting thread. Have enjoyed reading everything.
seedyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #92
Carbon

In regards to the Wild Lupine (Lupinus perennis), please be advised that much/most of this seed in the "Meadow in a Can" type mixes is actually something different. The plants are larger, more aggressive, and frequently have different shades. Most likely they are hybidized with other Lupines. Unfortunately most seed laws are more concerned with protecting cultivars than natives. These seeds are much, much cheaper to produce than the Lupine that is native in the upper midwest.
seedyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #93
Grub

Default Ruby-throated hummingbird alert

Would anyone who sees a ruby-throated hummingbird let us know? New England is waiting!
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #94
Co-Administrator

I think it will be a while before they get to you, but you might enjoy watching the migration progress here:
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #95
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyguy View Post
Hi Becky,
Thanks for the request. Our website is www.prairiemoon.com Sorry for such a late reply. I was away for the last 10 days. I have intentions of listing our nursery on this site. Maybe I will be able to get it accomplished today. Very interesting thread. Have enjoyed reading everything.
Becky, I reccomend Prairie Moon- very good product and reputation.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #96
Official Plant Nerd

Say troutlily, check this out http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...way-north.html
Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #97
Heron

Well, lonediver,

I don't know about your local master gardener program.

I will say that MY local master gardener program is all about the pretty flowers, native or not, invasive or not. They're great at diagnosing pathogens on vegetable plants. I wouldn't go to them for anything other than that.

The master gardener program in my area is my bete noir.

Plants can be invasive and not native, and disruptive. (Purple Loosestrife, Buckthorn, Buddleia, oxalis, teasel, etc.)
Plants can be not native and not invasive, i.e., harmless (German Iris, Tree peony, peony, pansies, etc.)
Plants can be native, but aggressive. (Canada goldenrod, Echinacea purpurea, etc.)
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #98
Carbon

Hi all,

I'm new to gardening and would like to plant some wildflowers in my grandmothers yard. I live right outside of Boston MA in the city.

I would like to plant only native species and could only find two seed packets at the local home center. I've attached the contents of the seed package I bought, Ferry-Morse Perennial wildflowers 'American native mixture.' Is this a good mix for the city? Are there any detrimental seeds included in the packet?
Attached Thumbnails
Makes me so mad!-untitled-3.jpg  
crash575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #99
WG Writer

Im not a native plants expert but I like that they have (N) Native and (I) Introduced categories.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #100
Unicellular Fungi

The mix is better than some. I see a few that are detrimental as you call it. Some of the native plants used in the mix are native to west of the continental divide. Those are not native to anywhere even close to where you want to plant them. Some of the others I don't know for sure because they only gave the common name of the plant. Hard to tell the way they listed the seed in the mix exactly what they are really including. They might end up being too weedy for your grandmother.

I know you are new to gardening and am really happy to see you here asking good questions. It is a little bit late in the season to be starting perennials of any type from seed so very good you didn't start them. Almost all of those perennial seeds in that pack need to be cold stratified for anywhere from 30 days to 90 days before they can be planted or else they don't germinate. You would have blown your money if you had tried to plant the seeds because very few if any would have sprouted for you.

You have some time to plan. What kind of space does your grandmother have? Sun shade? You might want to consider attending a native plant sale in your local area. Plugs can be a couple dollars a piece from native plant sales. If you add a few to where you want them there would be something growing there right away to look pretty for her. This would buy time to buy real MA native seeds this fall that you could start in November or December. They would germinate for you if you wintersowed them and be ready to plant next spring.

Tags
butterfly, butterfly garden, invasives, mad, makes, native, seed mix, tallamy, wild ones