Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #71
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Click on "Go Advanced", click on the paper clip at the top of the message box (attachments), add your photo and click "Upload", put your cursor in the text of the message where you want the photo and click, then click on the down arrow next to the paper clip which will say "Manage Attachments" at the top and list all your photos you uploaded, click on the photo you want and you will see a number and the word "ATTACH" in brackets on both sides of the number in the message box which indicates where the photo will appear. spicebush swallowtail sm.jpg
Click on preview post and your photo should appear within the text. This one is about 400 x 400. You may want to go larger or smaller, that's why I was saying 300 x 300 is about right for general purposes, this one (my avatar) is about 280 x 300. So I guess for now we don't have thumbnails, just the full sized photo we submit. As a courtesy I'm going to try to limit the size so they don't bog down anyone's system, especially those on dial-up. I don't know how it will affect the server. I admit I'm a shutterbug and love to share so It'll be difficult to curtail the number I submit. I have a Photobucket account so maybe I'll try that method next.
swallowtail.JPG

I know it's frustrating when something doesn't go right with technology, I almost lost it when trying to figure out how to display a YouTube video!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #72
WG Fundraising Coordinator

See, I screwed that up by not putting the photo on its own line and got a broken sentence. I try to end a paragraph, press "Enter" to start a new one, add the attachment, then press "Enter" again so the photo is isolated. I didn't do that with the first photo which broke up the last sentence in the first paragraph.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #73
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great photos, linrose!

I am too tired to read the instructions, but I love the pictures...especially the one in flight by the milkweed.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #74
Official Plant Nerd

I went sorta bonkers over not being able to load photos.... that kills me when that happens. I'm glad they fixed it!!! I tried your way... I'm sure it works but it's not working for me.... yet. I'm gonna really have to figure this out. It's been buggin me for a looong time. I'll probably have to play with it. Once I get 1 in by accident... I can probably repeat it and get another 1 in. That's how new technology usually works for me. I get it by accident.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #75
Unicellular Fungi

squirrel

I have been slowly getting flowers so im hopeing to get more butterflies and humming birds to come here.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Ever Spicebush Swallowtail and Eggs!-img_20110804_173850.jpg   My First Ever Spicebush Swallowtail and Eggs!-img_20110804_173900.jpg  
gogalyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #76
Official Plant Nerd

There's a thread on the oddball plants hummers like. I'll have to try finding that for you. I know it's here.... where... is a really good question. Here's hoping it's not buried too deep. What are ya planting for the flutterbies?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #77
Unicellular Fungi

Purple Butterfly Bush, fox glove, daisy's,rose of Shannon.
this summers weather has been terrible i have been lucky for a couple humming birds, lol just im not patient enough to get pictures hahaha
gogalyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #78
Great Horned Owl

Well, one of the butterflies came flying out of the aquarium and began to buzz about the light bulb. Fearful that it would burn itself, I released it into the yard. I guess it was too warm in the house, and with the weather forecast predicting 80 degrees Sunday, I took the second crysalis and placed it temporarily in the fridge.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful sunny day in the 70's, but there is a frost warning for tomorrow night. There's plenty to nectar from in the yard, as the asters are numerous and there are still goldenrod surrounded by bees. Also, summer phlox bloomed a few days ago. Nevertheless, I fear that butterflies' life will be a short one...

No, I didn't get a picture. The camera was upstairs, and it was on a mission to burn itself badly. It was beautiful and perfectly formed. It was the first time I had ever laid eyes on an open-winged spicebush butterfly, and it was a rewarding, though frustrating, moment.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #79
Official Plant Nerd

Story of my life... camera was upstairs... camera was in the garage.... in my purse... on the counter.... left on a seat in the car.... everywhere but around my neck where it should be when I'm out and about. You'll get another chance getting photos. This won't be your last so savor the moment!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #80
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
It was the first time I had ever laid eyes on an open-winged spicebush butterfly, and it was a rewarding, though frustrating, moment.
Woohoo! You raised your very own butterfly! Don't be upset that it won't live long...it went much further in its life with you than it would have outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I took the second crysalis and placed it temporarily in the fridge.
Good thinking. Now if this weather would just cooperate and let Fall come. It is warm here, too. Worried about my swallowtail chrysalides, too.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract butterflies, black swallowtail, butterfly, butterfly eggs, butterfly garden, caterpillar, eggs, host plants, spicebush, spicebush leaves, spicebush swallowtail, subapical, swallowtail, swallowtail butterfly