Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Report your Monarch sightings to Journey South

I got an e-mail reminder that it is Monarch migration tracking time again from Journey South (aka Journey North in the spring). If you want you can contribute your sightings of adults, eggs, caterpillars you see, or raise and release. You may be lucky enough to see a fall roost site and there is a separate map for reporting that. It's interesting to see the distribution of Monarchs throughout the migration season. I'm suspecting we'll see many more Monarchs here toward the middle of September.

Four Fall Monarch Migration Maps
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I've never seen a fall roost site but.... if there was 1 within 100 miles of me.... you can take it to the bank I'd get in my car and drive there!!! That's one of those top 100 things I wanna see before I die!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

During the past week, I've seen a few pass through our yard on a southerly heading...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

My one Monarch caterpillar appears to have gone on walkabout, it was nowhere to be seen this morning.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I've never seen a fall roost site but.... if there was 1 within 100 miles of me.... you can take it to the bank I'd get in my car and drive there!!! That's one of those top 100 things I wanna see before I die!!!
I used to live in a place called Nahant, MA, which was basically an island connected artificially by a man-made causeway to the mainland. Each Fall, down along the beach area, there would be what appeared to be thousands of Monarchs milling about, feeding on whatever was still available, primarily Solidago species.

At the time, being more interested in women, clubs, and general recklessness, I paid them little heed, but did notice them. I knew, even then, that it was an unusual sight I was witnessing. I also knew they were waiting, somewhat as the tree swallows do, for the mysterious signal that would send them on their journey.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I got an e-mail reminder that it is Monarch migration tracking time again from Journey South (aka Journey North in the spring).
Does that mean I missed my chance to get larvae?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
My one Monarch caterpillar appears to have gone on walkabout, it was nowhere to be seen this morning.
Congrats! I hope you find the chrysalis. Last year, I found both empty ones which was nice, but I'd really love to see the little emerald green gems.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

"Each Fall, down along the beach area, there would be what appeared to be thousands of Monarchs milling about" I'm sooooooooo jealous!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Does that mean I missed my chance to get larvae?

Congrats! I hope you find the chrysalis. Last year, I found both empty ones which was nice, but I'd really love to see the little emerald green gems.
Dap,
No, you have not missed your chances at finding larvae. I was out yesterday, gathering milkweed for my many mouths. I found new eggs, all different sized instars and adults mating.

The Canadian monarchs are beginning their migration. They have gone into reproductive diapause (the desire to mate has been shut off) and they are heading south.

There are 3 triggers for monarch migration:
  • food supply dwindles (look at your milkweed, it is probably getting yellow and tough looking)
  • shorter days, less daylight
  • cooler temperatures
The monarchs here in Jersey are still mating and egg laying for about 2 more weeks. Then they will begin their epic journey south!

Lib,
Roosting monarchs are amazing to see! It is pretty cool because you can often find them in the same locations year after year. I wonder how the monarchs know since they've never been there before! I have found roosts on the beach in Atlantic City, Ventnor and Ocean City, NJ. They cling to the beach vegetation, laying themselves on top of each other for warmth. I usually hit the beaches an hour or so before sunset. That is when the monarchs are settling in for the night. Sometimes they will roost like this before big storms, too.

A bunch of monarchaholics (John and I included) meet in Cape May every late September to watch for the migration. Last fall's migration was HUGE and we saw 1,000s and 1,000s! This year the numbers seem to be way down from last year. If any of you want to come to Cape May, let me know!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
. I also knew they were waiting, somewhat as the tree swallows do, for the mysterious signal that would send them on their journey.
Jack, you are very poetic in your writing!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Jack, you are very poetic in your writing!
thank you! BTW, I saw my first Spicebush Swallowtail today and now have a branch of spicebush in the house in water with an egg on it!!!!

Say a prayer for this egg, please.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterflies, butterfly, journey, migrate, migrating, migration, migration tracking, monarch, monarch migration, monarch roost, report, sightings, south, spicebush, swallowtails, tracking