Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
Salamander

The last Monarch I saw was in San Antonio less than a week ago. I've released a half dozen American Lady butterflies in the last week...all gone now! Those were found on Sweet Everlasting, which grows around here. A single Gulf Fritillary yesterday, whites, sulfurs, even a skipper...and a Red Admiral a couple of days ago.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I just saw a monarch this morning, here in Chapel Hill. He/she is really late to be migrating, and I hope he hurries south.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
The last Monarch I saw was in San Antonio less than a week ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I just saw a monarch this morning, here in Chapel Hill. He/she is really late to be migrating, and I hope he hurries south.
How cool to have members in different locations to tell us where the monarchs are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
I've released a half dozen American Lady butterflies in the last week...all gone now! Those were found on Sweet Everlasting, which grows around here. A single Gulf Fritillary yesterday, whites, sulfurs, even a skipper...and a Red Admiral a couple of days ago.
I planted some pearly everlasting...any relation to your "sweet everlasting"?

We've had a lot of warm weather for almost a month now. I saw two butterflies, sulfurs I think, a couple times over the past week.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

I was looking at the map for overnight roosts. There were 2 just north of me. What I wouldn't do to be able to see an overnight roost site.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #25

Monarchs overwinter in Santa Cruz, near where I used to live in California. It was an amazing sight, especially on a warm sunny day in mid-winter when thousands of them would wake up for a few hours and flutter around in a relatively small area. They estimated that 20K-40K monarchs were there every year.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
Salamander

What I have is Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium. This year the population of those plants are dwindling, haven't seen any new plants for some reason. I think I'll try cold-stratification of seeds, because that's probably what it needs, too warm here most of the time.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #27

October is more than half over, so imagine my surprise when I saw a pristine monarch butterfly today!

Report your Monarch sightings to Journey South-2012-10-18-14.23.39.jpg

Report your Monarch sightings to Journey South-2012-10-18-14.24.03.jpg

Report your Monarch sightings to Journey South-2012-10-18-14.25.02-detail.jpg

I'm so happy that I have some asters that are still blooming.
It seems like a rather paltry patch, but at least it is teeming with pollinators--including a monarch! I am determined to have huge swaths of asters not only in the planned meadow, but scattered throughout the yard in hedgerows and other nooks and crannies.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #28

My blue mist flower is still blooming, too. C. Coelestinum I believe, used to be Eupatorium but they changed its name. Like asters, good for those late butterflies.

I haven't seen any monarchs in about a week. Still have lots of skippers, sulphurs, red admirals, question marks and mourning cloaks.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
My blue mist flower is still blooming, too. C. Coelestinum I believe, used to be Eupatorium but they changed its name. Like asters, good for those late butterflies.

I haven't seen any monarchs in about a week. Still have lots of skippers, sulphurs, red admirals, question marks and mourning cloaks.
Thanks for the suggestion, turttle. I did plant blue mist flower this year...even though its range doesn't seem to reach my county in PA. If it takes, I'm okay with it, if not, I will feel it is not meant to be here...it did end up (apparently) dying, but not before going to seed...so, we'll see what happens in the next year or two.

This is the first monarch I've seen in at least a month, I'd say. You are doing much better than me. Aside from the monarch sighting, I've only seen a sulphur butterfly or two and a skipper...oh, and a cabbage white--but I don't exactly count them.

I'm so inspired to plant more of this particular aster (as well as others and other fall-blooming natives) so that I increase the number of pollinators 100-fold!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I saw two monarchs here today in NJ and several mourning cloaks, too! Have aster and blue mist flower blooming. Saw lots of buckeyes in the school yard these past few weeks!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterflies, butterfly, journey, migrate, migrating, migration, migration tracking, monarch, monarch migration, monarch roost, report, sightings, south, spicebush, swallowtails, tracking