Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Puddling

I went out to paint the shed today and a whole crew of blue butterflies were gathered around the bare ground around the shed foundation, gathering up the moisture and minerals I suspect. I had to paint the skirt around the base of the shed so I carefully painted trying not to disturb them.

It was kind of a Jim Carrey moment ("I am a being of light!" from Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls) with all these blue butterflies flying around me. Nice to be sitting on the ground with them in the late afternoon, it was quite a different perspective on the world.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

My "friends" - Eastern Tailed-Blues I think. You can't see the blue until they fly but the upper surface of the wing is brilliant blue on the males.
Attached Thumbnails
Puddling-eastern-tailed-blues.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

What a great experience. We should all sit out in nature on the ground or up in a tree to get a different perspective.

Different perspectives are great for photography too.

I plan to have a shallow area in my pond with rocks and such that will lead to a beach...I'm hoping it will attract puddling butterflies. I'd be disappointed if I created an appropriate spot, but never saw it used.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
What a great experience. We should all sit out in nature on the ground or up in a tree to get a different perspective.

Different perspectives are great for photography too.

I plan to have a shallow area in my pond with rocks and such that will lead to a beach...I'm hoping it will attract puddling butterflies. I'd be disappointed if I created an appropriate spot, but never saw it used.

Can you get Jeff to take a picture of you in the tree???

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Can you get Jeff to take a picture of you in the tree???
Sad to say, I've not climbed a tree in years.

I showed Jeff your message. His response, "If you get up in a tree, I can take a picture." (or something to that effect)

Now I just have to find a good cimbing tree--sad to say none I've found on the property yet, have been good for climbing. I guess it doesn't have to be on our property. ...I'll get back to you on this.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

Or.... you could just get him to take a picture of you lying on the ground after your attempt (real or imagined) at climbing a tree, either way you get that different perspective!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Or.... you could just get him to take a picture of you lying on the ground after your attempt...
~smile~ That makes me think I fell out of the tree!

Hmmm....I've got an idea. I just need some time to pull it off.

Tags
puddling