Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Butterflies & Moths (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/)
-   -   What is this? (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/8928-what.html)

Gloria 08-21-2011 11:51 AM

What is this?

1 Attachment(s)
My nephew drives a garbage truck and he has been seeing these hanging from the edge of recycling and garbage bins. From what he says lots of them. He lives in Indiana near Terre Haute.

suunto 08-22-2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria (Post 97778)
My nephew drives a garbage truck and he has been seeing these hanging from the edge of recycling and garbage bins. From what he says lots of them. He lives in Indiana near Terre Haute.

This is an evergreen bagworm, Thyridopteryx ephemeraeformis; Lepidoptera: Psychidae) a very common and destructive pest of trees, primarily conifirs such as arborvitae. See Bagworm — Entomology — Penn State University for a pub on them.

According to a University of Illinois Extension entomologist, insecticides recommended for controlling bagworms include Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki (sold as Dipel or Thuricide) and spinosad (Conserve and some Ferti-lome products). “Insecticide sprays are effective against the young larvae but bags that are 3/4 inch long or longer are very difficult to control. The bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis is effective on young caterpillars, but the material must be ingested--so thorough plant coverage is essential.”

Gloria 08-22-2011 07:57 AM

Thanks sunnto. I thought it looked a lot like the bag worm but being on so many plastic bins I was not sure. I thought they would stay on plant material.
So what, they drag the bag onto and attach to any surface?

Gloria 08-22-2011 12:14 PM

You have to see this video. I can not believe I'm finding a bagworm cute...lol.

Gloria 08-22-2011 12:19 PM

Here is her buddy Brenda. She moves along a branch dragging the bag along like a long wedding gown...lol.

bridget1964 08-24-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria (Post 97895)
Here is her buddy Brenda. She moves along a branch dragging the bag along like a long wedding gown...lol.

Brenda the Bagworm - YouTube

LOLOL! I am always pleasantly surprised at what you can find on You Tube!

Rebek56 08-25-2011 06:19 AM

A memorable bonding experience with an elderly neighbor some years ago was hand-picking all the bagworms off of his favorite arborvitae. (They were WAY past the bt stage.)

Equilibrium 08-31-2011 12:15 AM

Ha ha ha.... Babette and Brenda the bagworms... what a hoot!!! Where DO you find this "stuff"!!!

dapjwy 08-31-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 98590)
Ha ha ha.... Babette and Brenda the bagworms... what a hoot!!! Where DO you find this "stuff"!!!

Babette, might work for one of your chicken names...however, today I came across one that is even better: Emma-jean. :)

turttle 08-31-2011 06:25 PM

They look like terrestrial versions of caddis fly larva.