Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Getting started on raising caterpillars

I know many of us here have raised a caterpillar or two in our day. Here is a good website to get started.

NPWRC :: Caterpillars of Eastern Forests

There is simply information on collecting eggs and larvae in the wild. Also it contains information on identification and descriptions of species of Eastern forests.

I am currently raising monarchs, eastern black swallowtails and a tiny little saddleback caterpillar!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I know many of us here have raised a caterpillar or two in our day. Here is a good website to get started.

NPWRC :: Caterpillars of Eastern Forests

There is simply information on collecting eggs and larvae in the wild. Also it contains information on identification and descriptions of species of Eastern forests.

I am currently raising monarchs, eastern black swallowtails and a tiny little saddleback caterpillar!
Great site, Bridget. Thanks!! I currently have a black swallowtail caterpillar on my dill. His mom picked a poor plant, as it doesn't have all that many leaves. It was a strange choice, as I had fennel planted right next to it, but she chose the dill in spite of the fact that the fennel is huge and could support an army of caterpillars.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Jack,
I had the same thing happen in my garden! I ended up buying more dill from a garden center! Now the fennel is huge and no eggs are being lain on it. I am finding all the new eggs on the parsley! In the beginning of the summer, the fennel was covered with eggs. I know that the butterflies prefer to lay their eggs on newer, young, fresh leaves, rather than older foliage.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Pope

This is interesting! Bridget and jack, please keep us posted on your caterpillar nursery efforts!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I got a nice unexpected surprise back in July I think...
--
bridget1964> Believe it or not.... you were the 1st person I thought of when I found it.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started on raising caterpillars-img_5290.jpg   Getting started on raising caterpillars-img_5293.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Great Horned Owl

Would this be fourth instar??? Black Swallowtail on dill.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started on raising caterpillars-dsc00824.jpg   Getting started on raising caterpillars-dsc00823.jpg   Getting started on raising caterpillars-dsc00822.jpg  

Oracle at Delphi
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I'm pretty sure yours is either a 4th or a 5th instar but which one.... beats me???? You're gonna probably have to wait for bridget1964 to pop back in. Yours has a lighter face than mine and I'm seeing some white bands and I can't remember whether that means it's a 4th or a 5th. Which ever one you have... I have the other if that makes any sense to you.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'm pretty sure yours is either a 4th or a 5th instar but which one.... beats me???? You're gonna probably have to wait for bridget1964 to pop back in. Yours has a lighter face than mine and I'm seeing some white bands and I can't remember whether that means it's a 4th or a 5th. Which ever one you have... I have the other if that makes any sense to you.
It does - your words are filled with clarity and meaning. I hope we both have successful ventures on this!!!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 08-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Mine took off. I watched over it until it made it to a new woodpile I stacked a coupla months ago. I got a kick out of the way it dropped down from the little patio table. Plop and off it went beelining it for the woodpile. I'm thinking mine was probably a 5th instar because of the hike it took after gorging. Bummer of a place it chose though.... now I'll have to check every log even better than we already do before we can burn it.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Mine took off. I watched over it until it made it to a new woodpile I stacked a coupla months ago. I got a kick out of the way it dropped down from the little patio table. Plop and off it went beelining it for the woodpile. I'm thinking mine was probably a 5th instar because of the hike it took after gorging. Bummer of a place it chose though.... now I'll have to check every log even better than we already do before we can burn it.
Mine also took off. I took a look at it and then went out on an errand for a couple of hours. When I returned, it was gone!

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
asclepias, black swallowtail, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillars, chrysalis, dill, egg, hatch, instars, instart, milkweed, monarch, raising, started, swallowtail, tuberosa