Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
That's really creative. You're another artist aren't you?
Thanks. I like creating mosaics, especially life-cycle mosaics. No, I'm not at all an artist, but thanks.
mimbrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Grub

I hand-rear a few monarch butterflies every summer. We have three kinds of milkweed in our yard, so we manage to attract a few female monarchs, and I have learned how to find and identify the eggs they leave behind. I have found that I have to hand-rear if I want to see an egg successfully develop into an adult butterfly. The process is easy enough early in the season when the chances of disease are lower, but by July, I have to make an effort to improve sanitation to be successful. Each monarch cat is raised in an individual glass jar, one quart mason, with a piece of fiberglass screen on top, held in place with a rubber band. The milkweed is washed under a stream of cold water, and dried off, before being fed to the caterpillar. This removes any infectious spores(Ophryocystis elektroschirrha) that might have been left behind by a visiting monarch. There is much hand washing and glass washing involved. Even so, a few sicken and die. This year, of 10 that made it to adulthood, 9 were healthy, and 1 was under-sized, likely due to infection with Oe. For more information on monarchs, you can visit the Monarch Larval Monitoring Project, or MonarchWatch. Both of these organizations have web-sites.
erictjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
WG Operations, Facilitator

mimbrava-
I really like your photo mosaic illustraing the process of a cat to a fully developed butterfly.

Just lovely! Thanks for sharing it!

I checked out the other lifecycle mosaics you created on your Flickr page. They are amazing!! WOW!!
Could you share more of those here?

BooBooBearBecky
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

Where can I learn more about Ophryocystis elektroschirrha? Thank gawd for cut and paste with that spelling.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

MONARCHPARASITES.ORG

There's one h too many in that name, it's Ophryocystis elektroscirrha
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

A protozoan parasite. Thank you for the correct spelling. This is my first exposure to this disease.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
mimbrava-
I really like your photo mosaic illustrating the process of a cat to a fully developed butterfly.

Just lovely! Thanks for sharing it!

I checked out the other lifecycle mosaics you created on your Flickr page. They are amazing!! WOW!!
Could you share more of those here?

BooBooBearBecky
Becky, my other life-cycle mosaics are of flowers, so they wouldn't be a good fit here, but I'm glad you like them and thank you for your suggestion.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
Lungwort

Speaking of insect parasites (though this is rather off topic) I thought y'all might want to see today's article about cross-contamination between people and pets of the MRSA infection: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/health/22mrsa.html
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I can't read your article. I never did register with the New York Times. I know The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been publishing articles on the cycling of MRSA between pets and people for a while. Is this enough to get dog owners to keep their dogs on a leash so they don't chase down squirrels or to get cat owners to keep their cats inside so they don't sink their teeth into a carrier... probably not. People don't like inconvenient truths. I'm glad to see you posting that article even if I can't read it. I pretty sure I know what it says.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

Ah, inconvenient truths. Tsk tsk.

Thank you for the article mimbrava. It is important to educate the public on these issues.

Tags
butterflies, handraise