Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Monarch chrysalis

I know you have seen many pictures of monarch chrysalis but I wanted to share this with you.
My 13 year old neice has been visiting her grandfather having flown in from Texas. While at grampas they found a few monarch caterpillars to raise. One she put into a separate jar and fed common milkweed. She stopped by here yesterday to visit chicago relatives and spend a few days before returning home. I now have custody of the chrysalis as it would be unlikely she would be allowed to take on board a flight home.
It is good to see her so eager to share her find with the rest of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Monarch chrysalis-crysalis.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Lungwort

Gloria, enjoy your "baby" when it emerges. I would offer a bit of advice... prior to emergence, transfer the chrysalis to a rougher platform than the jar top. If the cat finds no roughness to the surface, it won't be able to "hold on" till the wings are properly formed. If if falls, a permanently deformed wing(s) might result. To hold the chrysalis on a stick or similar object, I've had nice results tying the silk attachment with plain dental floss; a simple knot is enough. You can then tie the floss to a stick, screen, etc. Have fun with it!!
Asclepias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Way cool, Gloria! When did it form the pupa? It should be 10-14 days before it comes out.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations to you and your niece-- you must be so proud of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
I know you have seen many pictures of monarch chrysalis but I wanted to share this with you.
We've seen others, but not YOURS. Thanks for sharing. It really is a beautiful chysalis. Last year, I watched two monarch cats grow, but never found a chrysalis until AFTER they'd emerged.

I'd love to have more caterpillars this year, but so far, no luck. Kind of depressing since last year was so successful at attracting quite a few species to the flowers, and the monarch cats to the plant. I guess there is still time.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

10 days exactly! We allowed her to leave when she was ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Monarch chrysalis-monarch1.jpg   Monarch chrysalis-monarch2.jpg   Monarch chrysalis-monarch3.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:

Congratulations, Gloria. You make a great foster mother.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yippy! It is always exciting for me when another butterfly ecloses! Good job!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Salamander

Searching the forums shows that this has never been discussed here so I thought I'd post something I find very interesting about monarch chrysalises.

Monarchs have been using velcro long before man came up with the idea. The caterpillar makes a silk pad which are the loops. Then the chrysalis' cremaster has hooks on the end of it. The wriggling chrysalis entangles the hooks amongst the loops. Once properly entangled, the chrysalis hangs from the loops.

This webpage has some excellent electron microscope shots of what I'm talking about.

Monarch Butterfly Cremaster SEM Images
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Fox

The mysteries of nature never cease to amaze me! Thanks for posting that info.

With respect to 'never been discussed here' I think there is a wealth of information here at WG that merits repeating. I hope you won't limit your posts to only those topics that haven't been discussed here.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterflies, butterfly, caterpillars, cats, chrysalis, emerge, monarch, monarch butterflies, monarch butterfly, monarch chrysalis, pupa