Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Let's Showcase Moths!

Okay, I feel that moths are the 'under-rated ' cousins of the butterflies, so I decided to create a thread dedicated to the moths.

Please post your photos, stories, articles, etc. of the moths you've encountered in your lives.

I'll start with a couple photos of a moth that John and I found in October. We were walking home from Sunday breakfast (our weekly tradition) and strolled over near the bay. In the leaf litter, we found this large, very pretty moth!

It turns out it is a pink-spotted hawkmoth, Agrius cingulata. It didn't seem to be doing so well and appeared to be dying. I picked it up and placed it in my garden where it would have a more peaceful place to rest.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3356

Attached Thumbnails
Let's Showcase Moths!-1031100944.jpg   Let's Showcase Moths!-1031100946.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/

Last edited by bridget1964; 01-08-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added URL
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Heron

Thanks Bridgett1964,,That's a Big Web-Site and the best way for me to navigate it is to click on the state I want to explore. The Luna moth is really pretty and I was looking at the Tussock[Gypsy] Moth that someone imported with the thought of making silk. I'd like to get a few Northern Catalpa and Tulip Trees growing to attract their species specific moths too. The main reason I want to attract moths is that bats could follow.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Fox

moth Great Leopard Moth

This visitor took shelter in one of my concrete block work-bins last year.

From butterfliesandmoths.org: "Caterpillar hosts: Wide variety, including banana, cabbage, cherry, dandelion, maples, orange, sunflowers, violets, and willows." It has been documented in my county. Unfortunately, I don't see on that site any pictures of the caterpillar.

I have an abundance of black cherry and violets, and a few sunflowers each summer.
Let's Showcase Moths!-great-leopard-moth-hypercompe-scribonia.jpg

Found this site with a helpful description of the caterpillar and life-cycle: http://www.hiltonpond.org/thisweek020608.html

Last edited by benj1; 01-09-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: found another web site
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

Here's a female promethea moth (Callosamia promethea; Lepidoptera: Saturniidae) that emerged from a cocoon on a lilac shrub near our house. In a very short time, there were more than a dozen male promethea moths fluttering about on the other side of the screen, attracted by the pheromone(s) emitted by the female.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Showcase Moths!-promethea-unbound1.jpg  

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Thanks Bridgett1964,,That's a Big Web-Site and the best way for me to navigate it is to click on the state I want to explore. The Luna moth is really pretty and I was looking at the Tussock[Gypsy] Moth that someone imported with the thought of making silk. I'd like to get a few Northern Catalpa and Tulip Trees growing to attract their species specific moths too. The main reason I want to attract moths is that bats could follow.
I love luna moths, too! Most of the time, I don't see them until they are dying on the sidewalk. John and I want to plant a tulip poplar tree or two. Having bats around would be a definite plus, too!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
"Caterpillar hosts: Wide variety, including... cherry, dandelion, maples, ... sunflowers, violets, and willows." It has been documented in my county. Unfortunately, I don't see on that site any pictures of the caterpillar.

I have an abundance of black cherry and violets, and a few sunflowers each summer.
Cool looking guy, you have here benj1.

I have an abundance of violets, quite a few black cherries, maples, and am adding willows...maybe I'll get them here. I hope.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
This visitor took shelter in one of my concrete block work-bins last year.

From butterfliesandmoths.org: "Caterpillar hosts: Wide variety, including banana, cabbage, cherry, dandelion, maples, orange, sunflowers, violets, and willows." It has been documented in my county. Unfortunately, I don't see on that site any pictures of the caterpillar.

Attachment 21966

Found this site with a helpful description of the caterpillar and life-cycle: http://www.hiltonpond.org/thisweek020608.html
What a beautiful moth, Benji! I don't think I've ever seen one of these guys before. Really cool caterpillar, too. It is interesting to find out how many moths don't eat as adults.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Here's a female promethea moth (Callosamia promethea; Lepidoptera: Saturniidae) that emerged from a cocoon on a lilac shrub near our house. In a very short time, there were more than a dozen male promethea moths fluttering about on the other side of the screen, attracted by the pheromone(s) emitted by the female.
Beauty, Suunto! How long do moths of this sort (the kind that don't eat as adults) generally live after eclosing/emerging from its cocoon?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Beauty, Suunto! How long do moths of this sort (the kind that don't eat as adults) generally live after eclosing/emerging from its cocoon?
Usually something like a week to 10 days or so; basically long enough to find a mate, and then a suitable host plant for egg deposition. Their beauty certainly appears fleeting...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
...The Luna moth is really pretty... I'd like to get a few Northern Catalpa and Tulip Trees growing to attract their species specific moths too. The main reason I want to attract moths is that bats could follow.
I planted a tulip tree or two--seedlings, but the neighbor has a mature one and there are several Catalpa on the edge of our property and beyond. I thought they were native farther south, but am happy to hear they are hosts to some moths...is the Luna one of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I love luna moths, too! Most of the time, I don't see them until they are dying on the sidewalk. John and I want to plant a tulip poplar tree or two. Having bats around would be a definite plus, too!
I have only seen one in my lifetime and it was just one wing on the shoulder of the road I walk.

Bats would be cool. I think I did have some visit the yard last year.

Oh, BTW, sprucetree, I just noticed your signature--what a great quote!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bear mountain catskills, caterpillar, cecropia, chrysalis, gravid, isabella moth, moth, moths, pandora sphinx, polyphemus, regal, showcase, soybean looper