Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Butterfly Books

Hi all! I have officially adopted this forum, so I hope to be able to generate some good conversations here!

Since it isn't really butterfly season, I figured I would start a post about butterfly books. Any kind of butterfly/moth book--field guide, activity books, children's books, etc.

One book that I recently purchased for school:

Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly

Maybe when everybody is done sharing, we can create a book list as a resource to share with others.

Looking forward to everybody's contributions!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Salamander

That one looks cute, Bridget!
Well, for field guide type books, Jeffrey Glassberg has great books...this one authored by Allen, Glassberg & Brock, Caterpillars in the Field and Garden
Amazon.com: Caterpillars in the Field and Garden: A Field Guide to the Butterfly Caterpillars of North America (9780195149876): Thomas J. Allen, James P. Brock, Jeffrey Glassberg: Books
And this one by Glassberg, Butterflies through Binoculars, the West:
And Caterpillars of Eastern North America by David L. Wagner:
Amazon.com: Caterpillars in the Field and Garden: A Field Guide to the Butterfly Caterpillars of North America (9780195149876): Thomas J. Allen, James P. Brock, Jeffrey Glassberg: Books
Of course, another I don't have is the same, except it's "the East"
And the one with not only some butterfly caterpillars, but lots of moth caterpillars is
Amazon.com: Caterpillars of Eastern North America: A Guide to Identification and Natural History (Princeton Field Guides) (9780691121444): David L. Wagner: Books
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Linda,
Thanks for sharing your great list of field guides! I noticed lots of people viewed this thread, but I appreciate you responding! Maybe when Spring comes around again, we'll bump it up.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Salamander

Oops, I screwed up and put in the first one twice. I meant to add this one on the second url:
Amazon.com: Butterflies through Binoculars: The West A Field Guide to the Butterflies of Western North America (Butterflies and Others Through Binoculars Field Guide Series.) (9780195106695): Jeffrey Glassberg: Books
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Grub

I just read "Mariposa Road, The Butterfly Big Year" by Robert Michael Pyle. It's fantastic. Great perspective on environmental issues that butterflies face. Most of the United States is covered in the book. Pyle has a very descriptive way of writing. He was able to find almost 500 butterflies during his travels in 2008. Host plants, habitats, and identification clues are also covered.

Last edited by Runmede; 12-06-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Administrative Edit
Runmede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runmede View Post
I just read "Mariposa Road, The Butterfly Big Year" by Robert Michael Pyle. It's fantastic. Great perspective on environmental issues that butterflies face. Most of the United States is covered in the book. Pyle has a very descriptive way of writing. He was able to find almost 500 butterflies during his travels in 2008. Host plants, habitats, and identification clues are also covered.

I got my daughter to give me this book from amazon for my birthday.

If you are into supporting the work of Monarch Watch (University of Kansas), they have an amazon portal. If you use that portal, they get part of the proceeds from the sell. This year, those proceeds exceed $2,000.

Monarch Watch's Amazon.com Portal
Runmede,
Thanks for sharing about Mariposa Road. I have not read it yet, but recently bought Chasing Monarchs, his first book.

And thanks for sharing about Monarch Watch's Amazon portal. We have one here at WG as well. I guess I can alternate between the two! I do make a lot of my purchases from Monarch Watch already, such as butterfly tags and a really cool butterfly net.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

Thanks, Linda! I have this one as well as Dragonflies through Binoculars.

A favorite butterfly field guide of mine is Kenn Kaufman's Butterflies of North America.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Fox

My favorite butterfly ecology book:

A World for Butterflies: Their Lives, Behavior and Future
Phillip J. Schappert

Quote:
Impeccably researched ... enjoyable, informative, and indispensable. (Entomological Society of America 20010201)
Amazon.com: A World for Butterflies: Their Lives, Behavior and Future (9781554070657): Phillip J. Schappert: Books
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
The Bug Whisperer

Here's a couple more, with one aimed at children, written and illustrated by one of our own Monroe County residents, Ba Rea - see Amazon.com: Milkweed, Monarchs and More: A Field Guide to the Invertebrate Community in the Milkweed Patch (9780965747226): Ba Rea, Karen Oberhauser, Michael Quinn: Books and Amazon.com: Monarch! Come Play with Me (9780965747257): Ba Rea: Books

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

Suunto--I have the first book you listed, Milkweed, Monarchs and More. I am not sure why it is listed as a children's book because it is a terrific, simple field guide. If you want to know about all the invertebrates that are supported in the 'milkweed community', this is a wonderful, concise book! It was reprinted this year in a larger format as the first printing was a small, pocket-sized book.

I don't have her other books, but will look into getting them. Thanks for the additions!

Tags
book, book list, books, butterflies, butterfly, butterfly books, butterfly field guide, butterfly guides, butterfly identification, butterfly reference, butterfly resources, caterpillars, field guide, guide, identification, identify, identify butterflies, larvae, moth, moths, plants, reference, resources