Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #51
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
This hummingbird was perching on a fence. It does not look like the ones that are usually around.
Cool picture on the barbed wire! ~smile~'

We only have ruby throated around here so I've no clue.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
...I saw the hummingbird moth in the photos today. Iit was laying eggs on honeysuckle and hawthorn, and my book says that is more likely to be Hemaris thysbe/Hummingbird Clearwing moth. I guess we'll see if the caterpillars match!
Great photos, turttle--all of them, but hummingbird moths have a special place in my heart. I've not seen one in quite a while, hopefully, I'll start attracting them HERE.

I used to see them when I worked at a garden center years ago.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Cool, amelanchier! I *think* I saw one of those this summer...hope to see more in years to come. Is that a buckeye?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #54
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Cool, amelanchier! I *think* I saw one of those this summer...hope to see more in years to come. Is that a buckeye?
I had no idea & was hoping someone would try for an ID. After searching, it does indeed appear to be a buckeye.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
I had no idea & was hoping someone would try for an ID. After searching, it does indeed appear to be a buckeye.
Cool. I don't know many butterflies, but that name came to mind when I saw your photo.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #56
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Beautiful buckeye photos, amelanchier!

Amelanchier's buckeyes are also hanging out on the grass, just like mine have been. what is it with them? It isn't their larval plant, and there is no significant amount of nectar. I guess it shall remain a mystery, bless their hearts.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #57
Salamander

At LAST! I've been waiting for these since last year! Well, Monarchs are here and one left me at least five little presents. I found the eggs and took all I saw in (four), found one tiny cat later...will look for more today. But since we also get Queens here, I've been waiting to be sure they were Monarchs...mind you, the mother wasn't nice enough to show herself while I was outside to see her. Not really focused well, but here's one of my babies...hope raising them inside will help them along!
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-monarch-cats-2010.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #58
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I feel your joy butterflylinda! I had 4 monarch cats a week ago on a swamp milkweed. Today only one remains. "Circle of Life" as Jason calls it as he hums the tune to Lion King to which I roll my eyes and wish that the tussock moths hadn't almost completely stripped the plant of leaves a couple of weeks ago. Now this poor guy has only 3 or 4 leaves left with still a week or so to go as a caterpillar. There was this black and red beetle that I found chomping on one of the cats. By the time I saw him he already ate 2 and one half. (Yeech!) I just want to get this one last cat to survive.

I try not to get too attached but, well, you know. I do the same thing with "my" bluebirds.

You can do it! Go cat go!
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-monarch-cat.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #59
Salamander

I hope your Monarch cat is ready to pupate...I hate it when I run out of food for cats!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
At LAST! I've been waiting for these since last year! Well, Monarchs are here and one left me at least five little presents. I found the eggs and took all I saw in (four), found one tiny cat later...will look for more today. But since we also get Queens here, I've been waiting to be sure they were Monarchs...mind you, the mother wasn't nice enough to show herself while I was outside to see her. Not really focused well, but here's one of my babies...hope raising them inside will help them along!
Yippee!

I found my first monarch caterpillars this year and understand the thrill. Mine were further along than yours--and you even spotted some as eggs! Maybe I'll do better next year. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
2010, aristolochia, aristolochia fimbriata, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillars, cats, coccoons, fimbriata, hickory, hickory tussock moth, larvae, moth, moths, photo, photos, pipevine, pipevine swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail, swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail cats, tussock