Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

When my original cats died of old age, we got Sirius, the black cat. She started out really friendly, then got stand-offish after we had her a few months (my husband says she went from sales to tech support.) We brought home a pair of bottle-fed dilute calico kittens and she terrorized them unmercilessly. Then they got bigger than her and discovered she is a coward and we never had peace in our household after that. If they are together, blood and fur flies, so we have indoor white cats and an indoor-outdoor cat who stays in our finished basement and has a cat door which she seldom uses. The woods are pretty scary for a cowardly cat.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #22

And, back on topic, the photos I posted are a spicebush swallowtail, which you probably all knew, a green-striped maple worm which turns into a rosy maple moth, and an orange-striped oakworm.

If any of you recognize the larva/caterpillar on the beggartick leaf, I'd be interested in knowing. I had planned to raise him to see what he evolved into, but he escaped the container into my kitchen. One of these days I may have a strange insect flying around and I'll know where it came from.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Found these pics on my camera, I guess my daughter took them. Two types of tussock moth caterpillars, probably muching down on my trees by the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-catchin-up.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-loop-de-loop.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-caterpillar.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Very cute!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I know right??? That first photo reminds me of some kind of little terrier puppies chasing each other.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #26

They do look like little terriers!

Now, does any of you know what this guy is? He was eating the pollen of the zinnias. I've never seen a pink caterpillar before. I am putting up a couple of views so suunto won't tell me I didn't give him enough information.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-pink-caterpillar-stretched-out.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-pink-caterpillar-eating-zinnia-green-beetle.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-pink-caterpillar-side-rear.jpg  

Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #27

Wow! That's amazing!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #28

Misogada unicolor?

Heliothis virescens?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #29
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I'll guess it's some kind of noctuid moth.

Saw this red admiral today on a birch tree. I used the zoom all the way, the colors are kind of neat-looking.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-sept-5-013.jpg  
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #30
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post

Now, does any of you know what this guy is? He was eating the pollen of the zinnias. I've never seen a pink caterpillar before. I am putting up a couple of views so suunto won't tell me I didn't give him enough information.
I'd guess him to be a TOBACCO BUDWORM They tend to take on the color of the plant they're eating.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, aristolochia, aristolochia fimbriata, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillars, cats, coccoons, fimbriata, hickory, hickory tussock moth, larvae, moth, moths, photo, photos, pipevine, pipevine swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail, swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail cats, tussock