Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

A real whopper!
That's funny you mention breaking for caterpillars.
I go around woolly bears if I see them in time... They roll into balls and tumble away when you blow over them ...
I even slow down and or go around Monarchs lately...Course I look into the rear view first but I must be thinking more about Gods little creatures since I've found so much beauty in them up close..

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I'll buy a sticker like that, or "I brake for butterflies".

My yard if full of cats at the moment. You've seen my yellow bears in POTM. Here are a few of my others. I know what they are, but do you - they're pretty easy? (actually, I don't know what the one on the beggar ticks is, and with my recent track record, it's a sawfly or beetle larva and not a caterpillar, but maybe one of you can tell me
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-you-looking-me.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-found-under-tree.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-stripping-pin-oak.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-larva-beggar-tick.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-oops-wrong-cat.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
Salamander

Well, it didn't seem to like the Aristolochia serpentaria I offered it, so I gave it Aristolochia fimbriata (nonnative, but it liked it). Haha, no bumper sticker...but not a bad idea! Actually, I stopped because there was a dead wild hog in the road with a bunch of vultures on it. Then I happened to spot something orange sitting on a frogfruit stem. And looking closer, I recognized it...and knew the frogfruit wasn't a host plant for it. So thinking of all the pipevine plants I had, I decided to take it home. I just adopted a stray caterpillar!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Spotted this one on morning walk at Walton Woods. Of course, you do understand that most of my stuff comes without IDs, making it more fun for you!

You are welcome though to post your pix with IDs, which is much appreciated by one and all!

So here's my little cutie-face for today! And please view large! IDs always welcome!
What a pretty little critter! I am amazed at the variety of caterpillars out there! Thanks for this thread and for the great photos!

I have some very fat swallowtail cats mowing down my parsley. I will try to photograph them tomorrow. Back to school time, really busy now!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

ButterflyLinda,
I now don thee the "Official Caterpiller Rescuer."

turttle,
Love all your cat photos. Especially the last one titled "oops wrong cat!" What a great sense of humor you have. Thanks for the giggles!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Salamander

That caterpillar is on a stick now...pupating. Actually, that may have been the only way I was going to raise a Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillar...not even one had showed up on the plants so far this year.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
ButterflyLinda,
I now don thee the "Official Caterpiller Rescuer."

turttle,
Love all your cat photos. Especially the last one titled "oops wrong cat!" What a great sense of humor you have. Thanks for the giggles!
I'm glad you like them. The "Oops" one is Sirius Black, our downstairs cat (we have domestic violence issues between our cats and have upstairs and downstairs segregation). All are rescue cats of the other sort.

I rescue caterpillars, too. Don't y'all? It is fun to see what they turn into, especially if you think you know but aren't sure.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
(we have domestic violence issues between our cats and have upstairs and downstairs segregation).
heheheh! Domestic violence issues with cats. Great way to put it! I too have an evil cat. Going on 15 years old and still beats up the dog every chance she gets.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Cats are much smarter than dogs. A cat and a dog will be having a stare-down; dog will be the first to break the stare and look away; cat swats dog. Cat wins.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Salamander

Missy (one of my cats) rules the roost (and me sometimes) indoors. Evie (second indoor cat) hides from her to avoid attacks. Sigh! I wish for peace, but have to accept the situation.

Tags
2010, aristolochia, aristolochia fimbriata, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillars, cats, coccoons, fimbriata, hickory, hickory tussock moth, larvae, moth, moths, photo, photos, pipevine, pipevine swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail, swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail cats, tussock