Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #91
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I love tuberosa, but they prefer incarnata, syriaca and exaltata more. I don't often find caterpillars on the tuberosa until the other milkweeds are gone. I found a bunch of incarnata seeds this past weekend and would be glad to share some with you! I also plan on growing a whole bunch of milkweed again next spring and will get some to you.

I have one incarnata--still in a pot after MANY years until I can find (or create) an appropriate place for it. Also, I added some syriaca earlier this year...AND I just found another one today while weeding out a huge stand of "wild chrysanthemum".

Thanks for the offer to share. I'd still like to try to meet you guys and would love to share something that you guys need or want.

School has been rough. We are back in our building after the mold remediation and I am now back in my classroom. Starting the year like that has not been good for an academically challenged group of kids...

I'm so glad that you are back in your own building. What a tough way to start, but hopefully you'll get back into the swing of things and have a great year. How is it going now that you are back?

I'm not sure if you'd see a migration of that magnitude unless you lived in the migratory path, the Atlantic Flyway. I live three blocks from the ocean and in the direct path of migration, so I see the monarchs as well as the birds migrate overhead. John lives inland and he does not see the migration. By planting more host plants, you are guaranteed to see monarchs and other butterflies all summer long! If you want to see the migration, come down to south Jersey next Fall! You can sleep on my sofa bed.

I don't have to see the migration; I'll just be thrilled to see a yard full of monarchs and other butterflies. We had some this year, and I'm hoping to see more and more every year.

Should I feel the urge to see the migration itself, I'll keep the sofa bed in mind.

Great to see you back to posting.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #92
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I am amazed this year at how many butterflies I have with just the relatively small area I've planted. Just paying attention goes a long way - I suspect some were there before and I just wasn't noticing.

There has been a large increase in red admirals and red-spotted purples here this week, a complete disappearance of all the tiger swallowtails for the year, and a plethora of skippers all over my garden. I saw my first fritallary the other day, too. I'll post photos tomorrow.

I would love to see the migration at some point, both of the butterflies and the songbirds. Is there any place closer to NC than Jersey where one can reliably observe this? Do they go down the Outer Banks or closer inland? Any of you have experience in this neck of the woods with bird or butterfly watching?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #93
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I've read that Red Admirals and Question Marks are strongly migratory. That could be why I'm seeing so many now. Turttle, I'm just a bit north and west of you so we are seeing similar species around the same time. Our tiger swallowtails have gone also and I just see a few remaining spicebush swallowtails lingering around. The sulphurs are out in full force, the big ones, I think the Cloudless? And the fritillaries have been around for about a week or so, I haven't gotten up close to see which ones they are.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #94

Captured some Cloudless Sulphurs on the Black and Blue Salvia this afternoon, hummers darting around me all the while. The yellow and blue combo is flashy I think! the last guy looks like he's trying to fit his whole head in that flower!
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-cloudless-sulphur-female.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-cloudless-sulphur-male-3.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-cloudless-sulphur-female-2.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-tight-squeeze.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #95
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

The butterflies were really happy today, enjoying the warm sunshine after all the rain.

This beautiful lady was cavorting...
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-american-painted-lady-lantana-dorsal-2-.jpg

This was my first fritallary. I planted passionflowers just for her.
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-variegated-fritillary-zinnia.jpg

These cloudless sulphurs do seem to put their whole heads in when they drink.
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-cloudless-sulphur-drinking-impatiens.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #96
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Fantastic butterfly shots! I'm not finding them and those I see don't hold still long enough for me to get a shot, so I really love seeing all the butterflies posted here and Great Job to their photographers!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #97
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

MrILoveTheAnts
That last one's a beauty...
linrose, Your second one as well. Purple and Yellow go so well together!
Oh and I see Turtle too has captured the sulphurs this week.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #98

Caught this beauty, a Gulf Fritillary today, and some cute little skippers.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-fritillary.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-gulf-fritillary.jpg   ~Photos! Butterflies, Moths & Caterpillars 2010~-skippers.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #99
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Gorgeous! Love the second one best!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #100
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

DITTO!
Sage, We've got yourselves some competition if she enters THAT one into the contest...HINT HINT

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, aristolochia, aristolochia fimbriata, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillars, cats, coccoons, fimbriata, hickory, hickory tussock moth, larvae, moth, moths, photo, photos, pipevine, pipevine swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail, swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail cats, tussock