Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Bridget, after I wrote it I realized you probably collect the caterpillars and not the adults.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Cool, you have bonsai!

That would make a cool photo--did you happen to take one?
I will take one tomorrow. I keep meaning to take a picture before it ecloses. I found a caterpillar on the edge of my kitchen sink today--it is now a chrysalis!

Yes, I have some bonsai, but not as many as I used to have. They require constant work and attention. I have so many other interests, I couldn't keep up with them. Gave a bunch away.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
Bridget, after I wrote it I realized you probably collect the caterpillars and not the adults.
I prefer to start with eggs, but do collect larvae if I find it.
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I will take one tomorrow. I keep meaning to take a picture before it ecloses. I found a caterpillar on the edge of my kitchen sink today--it is now a chrysalis!

Yes, I have some bonsai, but not as many as I used to have. They require constant work and attention. I have so many other interests, I couldn't keep up with them. Gave a bunch away.
Thanks, I'd love to see it.

I had an interest in bonsai in my late teens or early twenties. I started some, but never kept up with it--I let the willows grow instead of keeping them dwarfed.

Did you create the bonsai yourself or maintain ones that were already started?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

ButterflyLinda> "I had a teacher in middle school that had us killing and mounting insects for a little insect collection." I can totally see that kind of a project for kids. It's not gonna be for every kid but it's got its merits. This is the kinda thing I've got a problem with. Look at that moth. It's out of the gene pool now but it's on somebody's wall whose a "nature lover"???
Attached Thumbnails
Butterfly nets okay for educating kids??-img_3934.jpg   Butterfly nets okay for educating kids??-img_3926.jpg   Butterfly nets okay for educating kids??-img_3927.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

The bats.... even though they're not native.... fry me. It's really bizarre and twisted how if these were kittens or even cute little chipmunks mounted behind glass everyone would be screaming bloody murder but.... mount a bat and sell it for a hundred bucks and nobody seems to care. And.... I really don't have any problems with anyone mounting a big buck for wall art just as long as somebody ate the meat and used the hide for something. Trophy hunters are another story....
Attached Thumbnails
Butterfly nets okay for educating kids??-img_3931.jpg   Butterfly nets okay for educating kids??-img_3932.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
Salamander

Yeah, I have to admit, that insect collection did get me interested in insects. Children usually respond better to projects where they can use their hands...more than reading a book, listening to the teacher talk, etc.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #18
Rock Star

Equil, It is very sad to see what people are willing to buy and collect and make a living at selling.
The photos are very disturbing.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was disturbed. The guy's daughter was manning the booth with him. He was doing his salesman pitch thingie and she was collecting the money. She asked me why I was taking the photos. I told her. She said it got to her too but it was her dad. I felt bad for her. Her body language said she was being up front with me and she even asked someone to move so I could get a clear shot of one of the bats.

Tags
butterfly, butterfly net, capture, capturing, educating, education, insect projects, kids, learn, learning, mounting insects, nets, proeject, projects, teach, teaching