Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
WG Contest Coordinator

Default Dilemma

I have a dilemma. As most of you know I have a strict non-interference stance when it comes to the insects in my yarden. I have found a Tiger Swallowtail larva (papilio glaucus) on an as yet unknown host tree and it is the first one that I have ever seen in the yarden...My dilemma should be obvious. I want to leave the larva in place on the tree and let nature take its course, but I also want to raise the butterfly and release it back into the yarden. I have already harvested the larva but I am really "hand wringing" over the choice. I may come to my senses and return it to the tree tomorrow but for now it is in a rearing cage with a supply of food...

WWYD

What would you do?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Rearing cage, eh? I wouldn't get hung up over what you did. You've never seen one on your property before and you wanted to protect it. Me.... I'd probably return it to the tree with netting over the branch I put it on.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

John,

I think this speaks well of your flexibility. I'm sorry it is so difficult on you.

As long as the larva is doing well with the food supply why not observe it close up and enjoy the situation?

I have left the two monarch larvae on the butterfly weed, but when I went back a day or two ago I couldn't find the second one, which made me wonder if I should have brought them in. Luckily a day or two later I spotted the second one again--he tends to stay in the center of the plant while the other stays out in the open.

Do you have bluebirds? Would you protect them from foreign birds? other predators? I'm not sure how you would answer these questions. If there was an organism on the brink of extinction living in your yard, would you do more to protect it, or let nature take its course? I guess I'm trying to figure out for myself how much interference I'd do. I tend to be kind of a purisit in some areas, but realize more and more that flexibility is important too.

I hope this was somehow helpful.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

you know what I would do! LOL
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Rearing cage, eh? I wouldn't get hung up over what you did. You've never seen one on your property before and you wanted to protect it. Me.... I'd probably return it to the tree with netting over the branch I put it on.

I thought about the netting but I had a rearing cage in the kitchen, left over from some mealworms someone had given me.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
John,

I think this speaks well of your flexibility. I'm sorry it is so difficult on you.

As long as the larva is doing well with the food supply why not observe it close up and enjoy the situation?

I have left the two monarch larvae on the butterfly weed, but when I went back a day or two ago I couldn't find the second one, which made me wonder if I should have brought them in. Luckily a day or two later I spotted the second one again--he tends to stay in the center of the plant while the other stays out in the open.

Do you have bluebirds? Would you protect them from foreign birds? other predators? I'm not sure how you would answer these questions. If there was an organism on the brink of extinction living in your yard, would you do more to protect it, or let nature take its course? I guess I'm trying to figure out for myself how much interference I'd do. I tend to be kind of a purisit in some areas, but realize more and more that flexibility is important too.

I hope this was somehow helpful.

The most that I will do in favor of one species over another is to provide conditions favorable to that species. I believe that ALL species are equal and that we cannot favor one over another simply because it is pretty or that we "like" it more. I am excited when I find an endangered or rare species in the yarden. When I do find something like that, I use the event to justify in my mind that what I am doing in the yarden is the right thing to do. I did plant a lot of milkweed and have a lot of larva. I do not try to protect them but I did provide the habitat necessary for the species to save itself. I believe that nature is better at that sort of thing than we are. Any time we interfere we run the risk of tipping the scales in the opposite direction and that would be just as bad.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
you know what I would do! LOL

duh
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #8

I really do understand and support your philosophy. At least I think I do, I don't want to assume.

I'm also assuming that you do remove alien plants and replace them with natives. So do you support native plants and remove non natives?

Do you know why you brought it in in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
The most that I will do in favor of one species over another is to provide conditions favorable to that species. I believe that ALL species are equal and that we cannot favor one over another simply because it is pretty or that we "like" it more. I am excited when I find an endangered or rare species in the yarden. When I do find something like that, I use the event to justify in my mind that what I am doing in the yarden is the right thing to do. I did plant a lot of milkweed and have a lot of larva. I do not try to protect them but I did provide the habitat necessary for the species to save itself. I believe that nature is better at that sort of thing than we are. Any time we interfere we run the risk of tipping the scales in the opposite direction and that would be just as bad.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
WG Contest Coordinator

I remove every non-native that I can. I still have some in the yarden but they are being replaced with either natives or replaced with a hole in the ground.

I brought it in just in case I did decide to raise and release it. The fact that I found it means that all the other animals that visit the yarden can find it.

I try to explain it like this; I plant native plants so that I can attract insects so that I can provide a complete native habitat for all of the insects and animals that I can possibly attract. If I remove or kill any insect, that is removing a food source that I have so painstakingly tried to provide. I WANT insects in the yarden and I want them to be eaten. I love insects, love to watch them, marvel at the varieties, amazed at the way that they have adapted to their environment. I love plants for the very same reasons. I am happy to the point of giddiness when I find holes in the leaves of the plants that I find. I am also happy to the point of giddiness when I see birds hopping under my plants and coming away with a beakful of bug!

I want to be the provider and the observer. I will do what I need to do to provide a place where all things are equal and then sit back and watch nature do what nature does.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #10

I love your obvious enthusiasm and I guess I'm pretty much the same way...or I will be when I see more and more of it happening.

I guess my reason for bringing up the native plant thing is to show that you do favor some organisms over others--I am not judging (I do the same thing)...I'm just trying to make you think. I guess you already answered that for me (and hopefully yourself). I'm really happy for you--you are providing the habitat that attracts all of these special critters.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
I remove every non-native that I can. I still have some in the yarden but they are being replaced with either natives or replaced with a hole in the ground.

I brought it in just in case I did decide to raise and release it. The fact that I found it means that all the other animals that visit the yarden can find it.

I try to explain it like this; I plant native plants so that I can attract insects so that I can provide a complete native habitat for all of the insects and animals that I can possibly attract. If I remove or kill any insect, that is removing a food source that I have so painstakingly tried to provide. I WANT insects in the yarden and I want them to be eaten. I love insects, love to watch them, marvel at the varieties, amazed at the way that they have adapted to their environment. I love plants for the very same reasons. I am happy to the point of giddiness when I find holes in the leaves of the plants that I find. I am also happy to the point of giddiness when I see birds hopping under my plants and coming away with a beakful of bug!

I want to be the provider and the observer. I will do what I need to do to provide a place where all things are equal and then sit back and watch nature do what nature does.

Tags
aspen, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillar id, caterpillar photos, caterpillars, cats, daucosma laciniatum, dilemma, dill, host, host plants, larva, leaf, monarch, native dill, native insects, native plants, parsely, polytaenia nuttallii, prairie parsley, pupate, tree, trees