Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #61
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
LOL, no, I know in my heart and in my head that leaving things be is the the best way for me. I think the thrill of discovery is better. What happens in the yarden, stays in the yarden!
~smile~ I agree; sometimes even the most everyday discoveries can be thrilling.

The only reason I added "until next time" was the thought that you may discover something injured and decide to intervene.

BTW, it is great to relate to others here on the forum that share the thrill attracting wildlife to the yard.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #62
Official Plant Nerd

dapjwy> I missed her video. Where can I view it? I found bridget1964s video searching YouTube!!! Here ya go dapjwy, YouTube - Monarch Butterfly Migration, Fall 2010
Old 10-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #63
Official Plant Nerd

And.... she's got a part 2 and part 3!!!

YouTube - Monarch Butterfly Migration, Sept. 2010, Pt. 3

I guess we know where she's been lately!!! She's been chasing flutters!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #64
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

butterfly thanks for sharing!

Yes, we have been chasing the flutterbies. Thank you for posting here, Equilibrium!! You are the best. The video isn't the greatest, but you get to see SOME of what we saw.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
dapjwy> I missed her video. Where can I view it? I found bridget1964s video searching YouTube!!! Here ya go dapjwy, YouTube - Monarch Butterfly Migration, Fall 2010

Thanks, Equilibrium.

I did see it at some point (I'm assuming *after* I typed the above), but it was worth viewing again.

Thank you so much for your time and trouble.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Yes, we have been chasing the flutterbies. Thank you for posting here, Equilibrium!! You are the best. The video isn't the greatest, but you get to see SOME of what we saw.

I know what you mean; it seems impossible to capture on video what we see with our eyes, hearts, and minds.

I did that with the dragonflies and barn swallows I saw over the summer...at least you get a FEEL for what it was like.

In the past week or so, I've bee watching the myriad of pollinators swarming around my asters. I've taken a few pictures, but they don't do it justice. I should take a video which may give a bit more of the effect. Among the bees, flies, and sulfur butterflies, I spotted a monarch...and today, I realized there were TWO (each at a different aster 'bush'). This is the first I've seen more than I lone monarch. I'm planning to do a yearly census! ~wink~ I'm hoping to see an increase in all of the butterfly species. I counted at least half a dozen yellow (sulfurs, I think).
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #67
WG Contest Coordinator

We have been seeing a HUGE number of monarchs flying through as well as large numbers of buckeyes and red admirals. We still find monarch caterpillars and even found 2 monarch eggs on a milkweed today. The season is apparently not over and is going to be a long one! This has been a great season for monarchs and leps in general around here!

Tags
aspen, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillar id, caterpillar photos, caterpillars, cats, daucosma laciniatum, dilemma, dill, host, host plants, larva, leaf, monarch, native dill, native insects, native plants, parsely, polytaenia nuttallii, prairie parsley, pupate, tree, trees