Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #51
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
Yep, that would be the remains of a monarch chrysalis. Congratulations on your contribution to ensuring the stability of the migration and the species! I have a few of those around the yarden myself and Mary has a TON of them!
Having seen pictures of the 'fresh' (for lack of a better word) monarch chrysalis, I felt sure I was right in my assumption. It is rather distinctive, and I was able to instantly recognize it as a dried, empty chrysalis shell.

Thank you for the congratulations. I'm hoping to have a lot more next year, and maybe even spot them *before* they emerge. I'll always smile inwardly when I come across these in the future. I'm glad you have them, and that Mary has TONS of them! Give me a little time...
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #52
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Having seen pictures of the 'fresh' (for lack of a better word) monarch chrysalis, I felt sure I was right in my assumption. It is rather distinctive, and I was able to instantly recognize it as a dried, empty chrysalis shell.

Thank you for the congratulations. I'm hoping to have a lot more next year, and maybe even spot them *before* they emerge. I'll always smile inwardly when I come across these in the future. I'm glad you have them, and that Mary has TONS of them! Give me a little time...
Very cool to see your empty chrysalides and the praying mantis egg casing! It is much better to find one green, but at least you know they were there. I told you they would come!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #53
Official Plant Nerd

Very very pretty dapjwy!!! I haven't seen one of those in eons. I did finally see 1 monarch today. 1 is better than none!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Very cool to see your empty chrysalides and the praying mantis egg casing! It is much better to find one green, but at least you know they were there. I told you they would come!

bridget1964,

I knew you'd be happy for me. ~smile~

I'm guessing it is a common sight for you, but this is my first and I think I'll always experience a thrill at the simple joy of seeing them. I've seen photos of the green ones, that is how I recognized it when I spotted it.

Yes, you did say that, and I quoted you in my blog! I'm glad you were right. I can't wait until next year!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Very very pretty dapjwy!!! I haven't seen one of those in eons. I did finally see 1 monarch today. 1 is better than none!!!
Thank you, Lib! I bet it was a lot prettier when it was green and filled with a "cater-fly". Hopefully you'll see more in the future...this is the first I've seen/found.

Congrats on the monarch, one is better than none!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #56
Official Plant Nerd

Ya.... that was a really great photo. I did see more in the future.... I watched bridget1964's video.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ya.... that was a really great photo. I did see more in the future.... I watched bridget1964's video.
I missed her video. Where can I view it?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #58
WG Contest Coordinator

Default Update

Okay, I have been quite remiss in my updating this thread, things have been quite hectic with all of the things that I do away from the computer and in front of the computer.
I have come to the conclusion that tiger swallowtails do not do well being hand reared in a container. The problem is that they do not eat the leaf that they sleep on so I had to remove several leaves on a branch at a time and even though they were in water, they would wilt before the little guy could eat them. I think that the leaves also lose some nutritional value when they are removed from the tree. These factors combined left me with an additional dilemma, do I continue to defoliate my tree just to feed a caterpillar that would eat maybe 1% of the leaves that I removed thereby reducing the total amount of leaves that the young tree had? Ash trees do not grow that fast to begin with and I was not helping the tree at all by doing so. Also, the little caterpillar was growing VERY slowly. So, I put him back out on the tree and just covered the whole tree to protect him from bird until he was a bit bigger. He seems to be growing at a much faster rate and will probably over winter in a chrysalis. I have attached a picture that I took a couple of days ago (Saturday, October 2).

I think that in the future that I will do what I should have done and just let nature take its course and leave things alone. I feel better knowing that I have provided the conditions for a natural habitat and just the fact that any native insects are in my yarden is good enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Dilemma-dsc_0521c.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #59

Great picture. Thanks for the update. It is good to know what happened, and that it seems to have had a happy ending.

I think it is good that you tried and that you seem even more confident with your original philosophy. ...until next time! ~wink~
Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #60
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Great picture. Thanks for the update. It is good to know what happened, and that it seems to have had a happy ending.

I think it is good that you tried and that you seem even more confident with your original philosophy. ...until next time! ~wink~

LOL, no, I know in my heart and in my head that leaving things be is the the best way for me. I think the thrill of discovery is better. What happens in the yarden, stays in the yarden!

Tags
aspen, butterflies, butterfly, caterpillar, caterpillar id, caterpillar photos, caterpillars, cats, daucosma laciniatum, dilemma, dill, host, host plants, larva, leaf, monarch, native dill, native insects, native plants, parsely, polytaenia nuttallii, prairie parsley, pupate, tree, trees