Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
WG Contest Coordinator

Default hello there

While sitting outside by the pond having my morning tea, I was trading text messages with Mary (bridget1964). It was a nice morning and a light breeze came through and rustled the trees. I looked to my phone and noticed that I had a visitor...crawling on my phone! I think that he was trying to call his or her mother and say that they would be late for dinner.

I believe that it is a Red-Lined Panopoda I included a picture of the adult.

Attached Thumbnails
hello there-red-lined-panopoda.jpg   hello there-red-lined-panopoda-moth.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Cute. Since childhood, inchworms have a special place in my heart. (Is he an inchworm? Looks like one.)

I just had an encounter with a moth that I helped out of the house. It was on a window and, after opening the window and struggling to get him to go out, I finally got him out. I shut the window and, then the moth flew up and landed on the other side of the pane looking at me. I thought to myself do you want back in or are you thanking me? A couple of seconds later he flew off.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Cute lil inchworm. I know this is like totally off topic but.... I've got a sincere question since you're a mature adult with a daughter in college I think I read somewhere.... why text if you can pick up a phone and talk in person? Our kids text from mobile phones and it blows my mind and not one of them has ever provided me with an answer other than it's easier to text. Phones... not just home phones and even mobile phones.... can be bought for hearing impaired so if you get a good one you can pretty much talk in person like everyone else does and no more TTD. The little buttons to text don't seem that easy to me. They're like taking a keyboard and reducing it by 90% but they seem to not have hardly any typos and they are fast with their fingers. Don't they want to hear the voice on the other side?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
WG Contest Coordinator

texting takes just a few seconds and a lot of times there is no need for a long conversation. It is sort of like just leaving a note for someone. I text A LOT. Most of the time I am focused on some other task, like exploring the yarden, and I don't need to have a conversation, just send a quick note saying that I saw something. With Mary and I a lot of the time the text is a way of saying, "are you busy"?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Cute. Since childhood, inchworms have a special place in my heart. (Is he an inchworm? Looks like one.)

I just had an encounter with a moth that I helped out of the house. It was on a window and, after opening the window and struggling to get him to go out, I finally got him out. I shut the window and, then the moth flew up and landed on the other side of the pane looking at me. I thought to myself do you want back in or are you thanking me? A couple of seconds later he flew off.

Sorry, not actually classified as an inchworm, sort of moves like one but not really in the sense that we normally associate with them.

Your moth was probably saying, "Thanks, if I had thumbs I could have opened the window myself"
Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Lungwort

Nice find!

Texting is just better. You don't have to make time for it. You don't have to find somewhere quiet. And it gives you time to think about what to say. Plus you can do it while doing other things.
Sylvatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
Sorry, not actually classified as an inchworm, sort of moves like one but not really in the sense that we normally associate with them.
That's okay. It still sparked a nice memory of an inchworm crawling across the family room carpet when I was a youngster. I'm sure we put him outside.

Quote:
Your moth was probably saying, "Thanks, if I had thumbs I could have opened the window myself"
LOL! You sure have a quick wit! ~smile~
Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

"And it gives you time to think about what to say." I never thought of it that way since I'm a blurter.... on the mind... off the tongue and fingertips. I can be hands free with my phone when I cock my head to the right with the phone between my shoulder and cheek which frees up my hands but if I had to text.... I'd have to use both hands. I don't know how you guys do it. Here's a moth that was on my laptop when I was on a trip. I don't know what it is but I scooped it up and put it outside.
Attached Thumbnails
hello there-img_3050.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
...why text if you can pick up a phone and talk in person? Our kids text from mobile phones and it blows my mind and not one of them has ever provided me with an answer other than it's easier to text. Phones... not just home phones and even mobile phones.... can be bought for hearing impaired so if you get a good one you can pretty much talk in person like everyone else does and no more TTD. The little buttons to text don't seem that easy to me. They're like taking a keyboard and reducing it by 90% but they seem to not have hardly any typos and they are fast with their fingers. Don't they want to hear the voice on the other side?
Funny, my partner, who is culturally Deaf, asked me the same thing a while back. We text because he can't use the phone (other than a TTY/TDD--which are pretty much obsolete now--we have texting, e-mail, VP--video phone). He doesn't get why hearing people would text instead of talk. I'm going to share this with him. --He was actually looking at a few posts last night--nothing I sent to him to check out, but all on his own. *Maybe* he'll get hooked too.

I have to have the full qwerty keyboard--even in miniature...I can't stand the keypad method!

I love being able to text with him, but do text a little with hearing friends too. It is a quick way to keep in touch.

Quote:
texting takes just a few seconds and a lot of times there is no need for a long conversation. It is sort of like just leaving a note for someone. I text A LOT. Most of the time I am focused on some other task, like exploring the yarden, and I don't need to have a conversation, just send a quick note saying that I saw something. With Mary and I a lot of the time the text is a way of saying, "are you busy"?
EXACTLY! I like the "little note" analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvatica View Post
Nice find!

Texting is just better. You don't have to make time for it. You don't have to find somewhere quiet. And it gives you time to think about what to say. Plus you can do it while doing other things.
Not sure it is "better", but it sure has its place. It is better in many situations, I guess, like you described...but, my 81 year old mother wouldn't appreciate it and not hearing my voice. ~smile~
Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Here's a moth that was on my laptop when I was on a trip. I don't know what it is but I scooped it up and put it outside.
That reminds me of something that Jeff (my partner) told me years ago. He let a moth out of our apartment only to see it fly off and have a bird catch it on the wing!

Tags
inch worm, inchworm, insect, insects, lined, moth, moths, panopoda, photo, red, red-lined panopoda